Building record MYO712 - YORK OLD STATION AND FORMER STATION HOTEL

Summary

Railway station constructed in 1840-42 as the terminus of the York and North Midland Railway. It was the first terminus to incorporate a hotel, constructed in 1853, into the main station complex. It closed in 1877 when it was replaced by the present station. Listed Grade II*.

Location

Grid reference SE 5985 5174 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (9)

Full Description

Formerly known as: York Old Station TOFT GREEN. Railway station and hotel; now offices. Station of 1840-41, with alterations and extensions of 1845 and 1850s; hotel of 1852-53. Train shed largely demolished 1965-66. Architect GT Andrews of the York and North Midland Railway Company; Engineer T Cabray of the Great North of England Railway Company; Ironfounder Edwin Thompson of the Pheonix Foundry, Walmgate, York. Double train shed terminal station, flanked by departure and arrival buildings; hotel added across railhead. MATERIALS: departure building to south-east: sandstone ashlar and gault brick in Flemish bond; ashlar colonnades, dressings and moulded cornices; hipped roofs of Welsh slate, and brick stacks, either truncated or demolished. Rear of gault brick in Flemish bond, now painted, with gauged brick arches. Arrival building to north-west: red brick in English bond with orange-red gauged brick dressings, on ashlar basement; ashlar bands and moulded cornice; brick stacks to Welsh slate hipped roof. Former hotel to north-east: gault brick in English garden-wall bond, with ashlar doorcase, quoins, bands and cornices; brick stacks to Welsh slate roofs. Train shed of cast-iron and glass. EXTERIOR: DEPARTURE BUILDING front: 3-storey 5-bay centre block, flanked by lower 3-storey 6-bay blocks with projecting end bays; to left, 2-storey 3-bay block; to right, 3-storey 5-bay block. Hotel return wall set back at right end. Rusticated ground floor of centre block has recessed 20-pane sash windows with radial-glazed heads beneath round arches of radiating voussoirs with moulded imposts. Round-headed sashes on first floor recessed beneath arcaded hoodmoulds on moulded impost band; on second floor, windows are segment-headed in eared and shouldered architraves. Both floors have moulded sill bands, and first floor has prominent cornice on brackets. Giant pilasters at outer angles and flanking central window rise through moulded first floor cornice to eaves cornice. Ground floors of flanking blocks have 5-bay Tuscan colonnades with entablatures, and rusticated end bays. Windows behind colonnades are 12-pane sashes. End bays have round-headed openings recessed beneath arches of radiating voussoirs with moulded imposts; in left block, radial-glazed window altered to door. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes; those on second floor, unequal 9-pane sashes. All windows are in architraves, over moulded sill bands on ground and first floors, that on first floor continued from centre block; moulded band at second floor level, and moulded eaves cornice. End blocks have round-headed ground floor sashes, originally radial-glazed, recessed beneath round arches of radiating voussoirs with moulded imposts. Windows on first floor are 12-pane sashes in architraves over moulded sill band continued from adjacent block. Moulded eaves cornice formed by second floor band continued from adjacent block. Right block has third floor with unequal 9-pane sashes over moulded band continued from adjacent block, and moulded cornice. ARRIVAL BUILDING front: basement and 2 storeys; 7 bays: hotel return wall to left. Basement windows with grilles and screens largely covered. Window towards left end of ground floor altered to panelled double doors, retaining upper sash and radial-glazed fanlight. Other windows are round-arched sashes, some with paired glazing bars, some with radial-glazed heads, over panelled aprons and beneath arches of gauged brick with moulded impost band. On first floor, windows are 4-pane sashes with ashlar sills on blocks and cambered arches. Raised first floor band. HOTEL front: basement and 3 storeys, centre block with attic; 9-window centre block flanked by 3-window wings, curved at corners. Centre block has raised and chamfered angle quoins. All basement windows, now mostly blocked, in plinth stepped-up over windowheads to form lintels. In centre block, Doric doorcase in antis has recessed double doors of fielded panels and fanlight in keyed round-arched architrave, approached by steps. Windows throughout are 12-pane sashes on ground, first and second floors, beneath cambered arches of gauged brick on ground and first floors: second floor windows are squat without arches. Centre block has 6-pane attic sashes beneath cambered arches, above moulded frieze and prominent cornice on console brackets. Ground and second floor windows have moulded sill bands; first floor windows have plain sill band. All parts have moulded eaves cornices, and all windows have very thin glazing bars. Left return: 3 storeys 3 bays. Detailing largely repeats that of main front, with square bay with sashes and radial-glazed window on ground floor, and one first floor window blind, one enlarged to 15 panes. Right return: 3 storeys 7 bays. Main front detailing repeated, with part glazed and panelled door and divided overlight, and one blind window on first floor. TRAIN SHED: low brick platforms on both sides survive virtually intact. Platform sides of departure and arrival buildings also survive virtually unaltered. An area of train shed roof survives at rear of former hotel building, between the arrival and departure buildings. INTERIORS: not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 242-44; City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 53-55).
Listing NGR: SE5985051741

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

The york central audit of heritage assets mentions that the Passenger Station (York & North Midland Railway and Great North of England Railway) was constructed in January 1841 and enlarged in 1846.

Several reports available under SYO1149 for various elements of the station.

NMR information:
(SE 59835171) Old Station (NAT) (1)

York old station by G T Andrews was built 1840-2 and is of grey brick with stone dressings. It was the first terminus to incorporate a hotel, added in 1853, in the main station complex.
Grade 2*. (2)

1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 1:1250 1962
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest York, Addendum December 1974


RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse, p53 (Monograph). SYO64.

FAS, 2006, Old Railway Station Station Rise York (Unpublished document). SYO1149.

On-Site Archaeology, 2009, West Offices Station Rise York REPORT ON AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL EVALUATION
OSA REPORT No: OSA09EV05
(Unpublished document). SYO1208.

Dr Bill Fawcett, John A Ives and Alison Sinclair, 2013, YORK CENTRAL AUDIT OF HERITAGE ASSETS,NOVEMBER 2013 (Report). SYO1457.

Dr Bill Fawcett, John A Ives and Alison Sinclair, 2013, YORK CENTRAL AUDIT OF HERITAGE ASSETS,NOVEMBER 2013 (Report). SYO1457.

Sources/Archives (5)

  • --- Unpublished document: FAS. 2006. Old Railway Station Station Rise York.
  • --- Unpublished document: On-Site Archaeology. 2009. West Offices Station Rise York REPORT ON AN ARCHAEOLOGICAL EVALUATION OSA REPORT No: OSA09EV05.
  • --- Report: Dr Bill Fawcett, John A Ives and Alison Sinclair. 2013. YORK CENTRAL AUDIT OF HERITAGE ASSETS,NOVEMBER 2013.
  • --- Report: Dr Bill Fawcett, John A Ives and Alison Sinclair. 2013. YORK CENTRAL AUDIT OF HERITAGE ASSETS,NOVEMBER 2013.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse. p53.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 4 2020 11:57AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.