SE5951SW THE MOUNT 1112-1/19/1082 (South East side) 14/06/54 No.109 Nunroyd
Includes: No.1 MILL MOUNT. Two houses. Early C18 with possible C17 remains; altered 1815 and extended early C20. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. The facade has three 5-sided 3-storey bay windows with flat leaded roofs. The left-hand bay window is a replica added in the early C20 when the house was extended. Each has tall glazing bar sashes of 4 over 4 panes, with sashes of 2 over 2 panes on the 2nd floor and with brickwork below sill level on each floor. The main front wall has 2 storey bands which are interrupted by the bay windows. At the far left there is an early C20 oriel window on both the ground and first floors. The doorway, between the 2nd and 3rd bay windows, has a pilaster doorcase with console brackets, a fluted frieze, frieze blocks with paterae, and a cornice. Immediately above there is a lead-covered timber cornice hood carried on timber brackets. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels and a rectangular overlight. Modillion timber cornice gutter, with lead rainwater hopper to left of left-hand bay window. Chimneys on left-hand gable, and on ridge between 1st and 2nd bays. The right-hand return wall, facing Mill Mount, is blank except for one central bay which has sashed windows on the ground and first floors and a casement window above. The ground-floor window has an external shutter with raised and fielded panels. To its right is the doorway to No.1 Mill Mount, which has a reeded pilaster doorcase, a door with 6 raised and fielded panels, and a plain overlight. The brickwork of this side wall shows evidence of more than one phase of construction. There are 2 string courses, with a 3rd string course below the lower one, interrupted by the ground-floor window and door and terminating to the left of the window. 2 ridge chimneys. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase in No.109 with turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrail. Staircase in No.1 Mill Mount has lower flight 1815, remainder original C18 staircase, plus several fireplaces 1815. No.1 Mill Mount was first listed 22/05/80. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 66).
Listing NGR: SE5944851070