Building record MYO748 - 109 The Mount
|Grid reference||SE 5944 5107 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Includes: No.1 MILL MOUNT. Two houses. Early C18 with possible C17 remains; altered 1815 and extended early C20.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. The facade has three 5-sided 3-storey bay windows with flat leaded roofs. The left-hand bay window is a replica added in the early C20 when the house was extended. Each has tall glazing bar sashes of 4 over 4 panes, with sashes of 2 over 2 panes on the 2nd floor and with brickwork below sill level on each floor. The main front wall has 2 storey bands which are interrupted by the bay windows. At the far left there is an early C20 oriel window on both the ground and first floors.
The doorway, between the 2nd and 3rd bay windows, has a pilaster doorcase with console brackets, a fluted frieze, frieze blocks with paterae, and a cornice. Immediately above there is a lead-covered timber cornice hood carried on timber brackets. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels and a rectangular overlight. Modillion timber cornice gutter, with lead rainwater hopper to left of left-hand bay window. Chimneys on left-hand gable, and on ridge between 1st and 2nd bays. The right-hand return wall, facing Mill Mount, is blank except for one central bay which has sashed windows on the ground and first floors and a casement window above. The ground-floor window has an external shutter with raised and fielded panels.
To its right is the doorway to No.1 Mill Mount, which has a reeded pilaster doorcase, a door with 6 raised and fielded panels, and a plain overlight. The brickwork of this side wall shows evidence of more than one phase of construction. There are 2 string courses, with a 3rd string course below the lower one, interrupted by the ground-floor window and door and terminating to the left of the window. 2 ridge chimneys. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase in No.109 with turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrail. Staircase in No.1 Mill Mount has lower flight 1815, remainder original C18 staircase, plus several fireplaces 1815. No.1 Mill Mount was first listed 22/05/80.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 66).
Listing NGR: SE5944851070
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No. 109 The Mount, and No. 1 Mill Mount, form one building with an unusual front with bay windows in three storeys (Plate 46). The N.E. third of this front is modern. The building was originally one house, of which the nucleus may go back to the late 17th century and first appears on the prospect of York published in 1731 by John Haynes. This building may be represented by the present entrance hall to No. 1 Mill Mount (to S.W.), with stone footings and a small isolated cellar. An addition to S.E. along Mill Mount, in slightly different brick, may have been built soon afterwards. The extent of the early work is defined by the extra brick string-course appearing in the S.E. part of the elevation to Mill Mount.
The main part of the building was erected in the first half of the 18th century with a symmetrical front to The Mount. By 1740 the property was described (YCA, E.93, f. 121) as a house with a barn, stable and cowhouses, occupied by Richard Middleton, yeoman, who with others conveyed it to Thomas Hungate (1710–77), the eccentric herald-painter, occupier until 1776. Hungate took up the freedom of York in 1736–7 and was Chamberlain in 1751; in 1749, on the death of Sir Charles Hungate, bart., of Saxton, Thomas was considered the next heir to the title but did not take it up, 'being a man of penurious habits and of reserved and singular manners. His friends, however, usually styled him Sir Thomas' (Skaife MS.). Later occupants were the Rev. Robert Stockdale, (d. 1786), vicar of St. Mary Bishophill Junior, and the Rev. John Walker, rector of St. Denys, who lived here in 1786–92. The rate assessment was raised from £5 to £7 in 1798, probably on completion of the alterations which included the building of the polygonal bay windows which give the house its marked individuality. The bays were in existence by 1802, the date of a watercolour of The Mount by Thomas White.
In 1803–9 the tenant was the widow of Edward Bedingfield, Mrs. Mary Bedingfield, who moved here from No. 114 Micklegate (94) after her husband's death. Another phase of work is associated with the division of the house into two moieties in 1815 (Borthwick Inst., Rate Books of Holy Trinity, Micklegate). The first occupant of No. 109, the N.E. moiety, from 1816 to 1821, was Richard Allanson (Chamberlain of York, 1797), whose initials appear on a Georgian teaspoon found wedged into a lintel. Among later occupants of No. 109 were Leonard Simpson, J.P. (d. 1868), brother of Sir John Simpson; and from 1904 until his death in 1924 Alderman Norman Green, Lord Mayor in 1911–12, who added the block to N.E. of the older house, with a third bay window. When a passage was driven between two cellars a heavy rubble foundation was encountered, probably part of the foundations of St. James's Chapel, known to have stood near this spot. The staircase to Nunroyd is of the 18th century, with square newels and turned balusters. That to No. 1 Mill Mount has a lower part of 1815 but is of the 18th century above. Some of the other fittings are 18th-century; several of the fireplaces are of c. 1815.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972. Monument 50
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060898 NUNROYD, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 5:01PM