SE6051SW SOUTH ESPLANADE 1112-1/21/920 (North East side) 04/02/94 Retaining wall and steps on north-east side of South Esplanade
Part of south-west boundary wall to precinct of former Franciscan Friary; now retaining wall on north-east side of South Esplanade incorporating steps and railings at rear of Magistrates' Court, No.16 Clifford Street (qv) and to Peckitt Street; in part forming boundary walls to No.8 Peckitt Street and Nos 1-3 Friar's Terrace (qv), Nos 1-5 South Esplanade (qv), and No.8 Tower Place (qv). Wall extends approximately 150 metres from south-east corner of Lower Friargate to No.9 Tower Place (qv), formerly Davy Tower. Late C13 and later. Magnesian limestone, raised in brick of various dates, with stone copings, sloped, milled or cambered in places. Painted cast-iron railings. Wall is approximately 3 metres high, on chamfered plinth, stepped over blocked opening at Friargate end; base of wall is battered between Friargate and Peckitt Street, and strengthened by 7 battered buttresses. At south-east corner of Lower Friargate is square section stone pier with moulded cornice beneath cross-pedimented cap; at foot of Peckitt Street a brick pier with pyramidal cap. Further south-east, wall is broken by various openings, including round-arched chamfered doorway beneath No.4 South Esplanade, iron gate to No.1 South Esplanade, and a chamfered 2-centred door arch to No.8 Tower Place. At rear of Magistrates' Court, flight of steps and gate have diagonally set square section railings with crocket finials and octagonal gate posts. Railings to steps at foot of Peckitt Street are square section with flat handrail, scrolled at bottom on turned standard. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 159; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 51).
Listing NGR: SE6031951477