SE6051NE ST SAVIOURGATE 1112-1/17/994 (South East side) 14/06/54 Church of St Saviour and attached gates and railings (Formerly Listed as: ST SAVIOURGATE Church of St Saviour) (Formerly Listed as: ST SAVIOURGATE Railings to north-west and north-east sides of Church of St Saviour)
Formerly known as: Church of St Saviour-in-the-Marshes ST SAVIOURGATE. Parish church, now educational resource centre; attached railings and gates forming northern and western boundaries of former churchyard. C15 arcades and west end; north and south aisles rebuilt 1844-45; vestry of 1878. Church made redundant in 1954 and converted to present use in 1991. C19 rebuilding by RH Sharp with vestry by WG Penty. MATERIALS: magnesian limestone with re-used gritstone plinth to north side; tiled roofs. PLAN: aisled continuous 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave with south vestry and west tower. EXTERIOR: triple-gabled east end has partly blocked chancel window of 5 cinquefoil headed lights and 3 tiers of panel tracery in double chamfered opening; aisles windows are of 3 trefoil-headed lights with reticulated tracery: all windows have 2-centred heads and hollow chamfered hoods. Round-arched doorway with C20 board door to north of chancel window. On north side, moulded and hollow chamfered doorway in western bay has double doors of trefoiled panels in 4-centred head, beneath coved hoodmould on defaced shield stops: square-headed window of 2 trefoiled lights over door. North and south sides have 2-stage buttresses between pointed windows of 3 double transomed and trefoiled lights with panel tracery and hollow chamfered hoodmoulds. Both sides have moulded eaves courses. On south side, gabled projecting vestry in western bay has 2-centred doorway and square-headed window of 2 trefoiled lights. At west end, 3-stage buttressed tower has double transomed west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights and panel tracery, beneath coved hoodmould. Second stage has 2-light panel-traceried window deeply recessed in 4-centred opening in west face. Belfry openings are of 3 louvred lights in 4-centred heads. Shallow extruded staircase on south face lit by glazed slit lights. Coved strings to belfry and embattled parapet. Gabled aisles have panel-traceried windows of 3 trefoiled lights, that in north aisle above square-headed
window of 3 trefoiled lights. INTERIOR: north and south arcades of five pointed double chamfered and broach-stopped arches on octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals. Tower arch of two hollow chamfered orders with hoodmould dies into semi-octagonal responds. North of east window, former vestry door has chamfered 2-centred rere-arch: to south is piscina recess with trefoiled ogee-arched canopy. Tower stair has chamfered doorway with 4-centred head and plank door: second stage floor carried on reset C12 grotesque corbels. In tower, two illegible plank boards in ogee-headed surrounds with crocketed finials and fluted sills. C15 roofs to chancel and nave said to survive above C19 ceilings. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: diagonally set square section railings and standards with fig-shaped and spike finials respectively; two pedestrian gates of similar design. Railings listed on 24/06/83. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 46-49).
Listing NGR: SE6059051890