SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/651 (North side) 19/08/71 No.56
House; now house and shop. Mid C18, incorporating remains of C17 house; late C19 and C20 shopfront. Probably for John Bradley, apothecary. Front of mottled red brick in Flemish bond, with timber eaves band; rear part-rendered. Brick coped left gable to pantile roof; brick stacks at left end of front range and to rear wing. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-window front. Plain shopfront, with C20 shop door recessed between plate glass windows: at right end, sunk-panelled upstairs door and overlight in plain pilaster doorcase with deep frieze and dentil cornice hood on grooved consoles. Windows on first and second floors are 12-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick. Painted stone sill band to first floor; second floor windows have painted stone sills. INTERIOR: ground floor: in shop, moulded and dentilled cornices survive. Entrance passage has stone flagged floor and round arch on pilasters with moulded imposts. Open string, quarter-turn staircase rises around well from ground floor to attic, and has slender turned balusters and ramped-up, moulded handrail. First floor: front room has moulded dado rail and skirting, enriched raised and fielded panelling above dado rail, and enriched dentil and modillion cornice. Two doorcases have enriched architraves with pulvinated friezes, dentilled pedimented overdoors, and doors of 6 raised and fielded panels. Fireplace in enriched moulded surround has fluted frieze with uncarved centre panel and dentilled moulded cornice shelf. All mouldings are egg-and-dart. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 78).
Listing NGR: SE5994051648