Building record MYO1211 - 56 Micklegate

Summary

A three-storey, two window fronted, red brick house from the mid 18th century, with remains of an earlier 17th century structure. The roof is modern pantiled above an attic. The shop fronts were inserted in the late 19th century. The interior has mouldings and dentilled cornices and an open string staircase.

Location

Grid reference SE 5994 5164 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

House, now house and shop. Mid C18, incorporating remains of C17 house; late C19 and C20 shopfront. Probably for John Bradley, apothecary. Front of mottled red brick in Flemish bond, with timber eaves band; rear part-rendered. Brick coped left gable to pantile roof; brick stacks at left end of front range and to rear wing.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 2-window front. Plain shopfront, with C20 shop door recessed between plate glass windows: at right end, sunk-panelled upstairs door and overlight in plain pilaster doorcase with deep frieze and dentil cornice hood on grooved consoles. Windows on first and second floors are 12-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick. Painted stone sill band to first floor; second floor windows have painted stone sills.

INTERIOR: ground floor: in shop, moulded and dentilled cornices survive. Entrance passage has stone flagged floor and round arch on pilasters with moulded imposts. Open string, quarter-turn staircase rises around well from ground floor to attic, and has slender turned balusters and ramped-up, moulded handrail. First floor: front room has moulded dado rail and skirting, enriched raised and fielded panelling above dado rail, and enriched dentil and modillion cornice. Two doorcases have enriched architraves with pulvinated friezes, dentilled pedimented overdoors, and doors of 6 raised and fielded panels. Fireplace in enriched moulded surround has fluted frieze with uncarved centre panel and dentilled moulded cornice shelf. All mouldings are egg-and-dart. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 78).
Listing NGR: SE5994051648

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 56, is mainly of the second half of the 18th century, but there are remains of an earlier structure, probably of the 17th century; a shop front was inserted in the late 19th century. It is of three storeys and attics, built in brick with modern pantiled roof. The property was bought from Christopher Rawdon in 1747 (E.93, f. 197) by John Bradley, apothecary (d. 1775), who probably carried out extensive rebuilding before his term as Sheriff in 1755–6. After his death it was the home of his widow Antonia (d. 1777) and her sister Catherine Marshall (d. 1779). Later the house was occupied by tenants, including the Misses Mary and Ann Brickland, who carried on a girls' boarding school here from 1823 for some 10 years.

The front elevation is of two bays with sash windows under arches of gauged brick voussoirs, and with a continuous band at first-floor sill level; the second floor has two sash windows with flat arches lower than those below. At the eaves the fascia board and rainwater gutter, supported on simple timber brackets, are not original. The E. Gable adjoins No. 54. The back is partly plastered and has 19th-century windows. At the wall-head is a gable with flush coping two courses wide, and a chimney stack to W. Behind this gable, and at a higher level, is another gable, of 17th-century origin but altered to accommodate the mid 18th-century staircase.Internally most of the rooms have original plaster cornices and two are lined with panelling. On the first floor is an original fireplace. In the E. End of the attic storey is a blocked window, showing that the brickwork here is earlier than 1757, when Garforth House (66) was completed.

Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 78 (Monument 78).

Information derived from NMR
Mid-18th century, incorporating remains of a 17th century house; late 19th and 20th century shopfront. Probably for John Bradley, apothecary. Used as a boarding school in 1823. Exterior: 3-storey 2-window front.

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060811 56 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 7 2020 1:00PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.