Listed Building: EAST LODGE OF LENDAL BRIDGE AND LENDAL BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSES (1257475)

See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II
NHLE 1257475
Date assigned 01 July 1968
Date last amended

Description

YORK SE5951NE LENDAL 1112-1/15/9 Lendal Bridge and attached 01/07/68 tollhouses (Formerly Listed as: Lendal Bridge) GV II Includes: East Lodge of Lendal Bridge MUSEUM STREET. Bridge, abutments and approach ramps; flight of steps attached to east abutment on upstream side; tollhouse attached to each end of bridge on downstream side; balustraded garden railings attached to west bank tollhouse. 1861-63; strengthened 1910. By Thomas Page; stonework by George Milburn. MATERIALS: cast-iron bridge; abutment and approach ramp parapets of ashlar; stone steps on cast-iron frame. Tollhouses rusticated sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; Welsh and stone slate roofs with conjoined stone stacks; cast-iron railings. EXTERIOR: single-span bridge between abutments pierced on each bank by carriage arches. Arch is elliptical with traceried spandrels and parapet pierced by quatrefoils incorporating armorial shields over band of heraldic badges. In centre of parapet a branched gas lamp standard of clustered octagonal columns with ogee caps supporting tapered lanterns with pennant finials and angel terminal. On west bank, chamfered elliptical carriage arch pierces abutment; on east bank, carriage arch is closed by board doors. Parapet to abutments and approaches has sloped roll-moulded coping, embattled above west bank arch, and octagonal piers with coved moulded cornices and shallow stepped octagonal caps. Flight of steps on east bank has framework of twisted columns on tall chamfered square section pedestals, arcaded balustrade of cusped pointed arches on octagonal colonnettes tied by band of pierced quatrefoils, and moulded handrail. Tollhouses: 1 storey, 2 bays at bridge level, with 3-stage octagonal tower rising at rear from river bank level. East tollhouse is gabled, the west one embattled; towers are machicolated and embattled with conjoined stacks. Bridge front of each tollhouse has an ogee-arched doorway beneath hoodmould on shield stops, and square-headed mullioned window of two trefoil-headed lights recessed in quoined surround. On river side, each has 4-light oriel window with half-hexagonal roof. Windows are diamond lattice glazed, and mullions and openings are hollow-chamfered. West bank tollhouse has arcaded balustrade railings, similar to those on east bank steps, to small side garden. INTERIOR: tollhouses not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 160). Listing NGR: SE5998451924

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SE 5998 5192 (point) (2 map features)
Map sheet SE55SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 30 2021 9:27PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.