Building record MYO1303 - LENDAL BRIDGE, East Lodge, Tollhouses

Summary

A single-span cast-iron bridge between abutments pierced on each bank by carriage arches, built in 1861-3, strengthened in 1910. Two Tollhouses: 1 storey, 2 bays at bridge level, with 3-stage octagonal tower rising at rear from river bank level. East tollhouse is gabled, the west one embattled; towers are machicolated and embattled with conjoined stacks.

Location

Grid reference SE 5998 5192 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (7)

Full Description

Includes: East Lodge of Lendal Bridge MUSEUM STREET. Bridge, abutments and approach ramps; flight of steps attached to east abutment on upstream side; tollhouse attached to each end of bridge on downstream side; balustraded garden railings attached to west bank tollhouse. 1861-63; strengthened 1910. By Thomas Page; stonework by George Milburn. MATERIALS: cast-iron bridge; abutment and approach ramp parapets of ashlar; stone steps on cast-iron frame. Tollhouses rusticated sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; Welsh and stone slate roofs with conjoined stone stacks; cast-iron railings. EXTERIOR: single-span bridge between abutments pierced on each bank by carriage arches. Arch is elliptical with traceried spandrels and parapet pierced by quatrefoils incorporating armorial shields over band of heraldic badges. In centre of parapet a branched gas lamp standard of clustered octagonal columns with ogee caps supporting tapered lanterns with pennant finials and angel terminal. On west bank, chamfered elliptical carriage arch pierces abutment; on east bank, carriage arch is closed by board doors. Parapet to abutments and approaches has sloped roll-moulded coping, embattled above west bank arch, and octagonal piers with coved moulded cornices and shallow stepped octagonal caps. Flight of steps on east bank has framework of twisted columns on tall chamfered square section pedestals, arcaded balustrade of cusped pointed arches on octagonal colonnettes tied by band of pierced quatrefoils, and moulded handrail. Tollhouses: 1 storey, 2 bays at bridge level, with 3-stage octagonal tower rising at rear from river bank level. East tollhouse is gabled, the west one embattled; towers are machicolated and embattled with conjoined stacks. Bridge front of each tollhouse has an ogee-arched doorway beneath hoodmould on shield stops, and square-headed mullioned window of two trefoil-headed lights recessed in quoined surround. On river side, each has 4-light oriel window with half-hexagonal roof. Windows are diamond lattice glazed, and mullions and openings are hollow-chamfered. West bank tollhouse has arcaded balustrade railings, similar to those on east bank steps, to small side garden. INTERIOR: tollhouses not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 160).
Listing NGR: SE5998451924

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information:

No further description provided.

Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Architectural Survey
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jan 26 2021 8:32AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.