SE6051NW LENDAL 1112-1/28/544 (South West side) 24/06/83 No.2
Congregational chapel; now restaurant, shops and amusement arcade. 1816; converted and altered 1929, and later. By JP Pritchett. Orange brick in Flemish bond, ground floor at front rendered; timber modillion cornice; truncated pyramidal roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay front, centre 3 bays projecting and pedimented. Central entrance beneath semicircular hood between segment-headed fixed light windows: outer bays have renewed double doors beneath segment-headed overlights: all except main door have segmental brick arches. Round-headed windows on upper floor have semicircular arches of rubbed brick and three tiers of mullioned 4-pane lights. Pediment has blind oculus in tympanum. Rear: basement and 2 storeys; 5 bays with hemi-domed apse to three centre bays. Apse has round-arched windows on ground floor with sunk rectangular panels above. Ground and first floor windows in flanking bays are 4-pane mullioned lights, those on first floor in two tiers. Windows on ground floor have painted stone sills, those on first floor painted stone sill band returned from side elevation. Left return: 2 storeys, with basement beneath rear bays; 5 bays. Ground and first floor windows correspond to those on rear elevation. INTERIOR: not inspected. Chapel was closed for worship in 1929. (Royle E: Nonconformity in C19 York: York: 1985-: 4; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 54).
Listing NGR: SE6006451982