Building record MYO1308 - 2 Lendal, former Congregational chapel, now restaurant

Summary

In September 1815 a site was purchased on the south side of Lendal almost opposite the Judges' Lodgings; LENDAL CHAPEL was opened in November of the following year. It provided accommodation for 950 persons and in the basement there was a room for a Sunday school. The building was designed by Watson and Pritchett, architects of York, and the cost, with the site, was more than £3,000. Lendal Chapel was the first in York to be lighted by gas. (fn. 86) The congregation appears to have increased rapidly and although a new Congregational chapel was opened in 1839, 80 persons remained in Lendal Chapel to form the nucleus of a new congregation. The building was restored in 1902 and its use as a chapel continued until 1929. In 1956 the building, the ground floor of which had been altered, was occupied by a shop. From: 'Protestant Nonconformity', A History of the County of York: the City of York (1961), pp. 404-418. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36376 Date accessed: 06 February 2012. The building is now (2012) a restaurant

Location

Grid reference SE 6006 5198 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Congregational chapel; now restaurant, shops and amusement arcade. 1816; converted and altered 1929, and later. By JP Pritchett. Orange brick in Flemish bond, ground floor at front rendered; timber modillion cornice; truncated pyramidal roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay front, centre 3 bays projecting and pedimented. Central entrance beneath semicircular hood between segment-headed fixed light windows: outer bays have renewed double doors beneath segment-headed overlights: all except main door have segmental brick arches. Round-headed windows on upper floor have semicircular arches of rubbed brick and three tiers of mullioned 4-pane lights. Pediment has blind oculus in tympanum. Rear: basement and 2 storeys; 5 bays with hemi-domed apse to three centre bays. Apse has round-arched windows on ground floor with sunk rectangular panels above. Ground and first floor windows in flanking bays are 4-pane mullioned lights, those on first floor in two tiers. Windows on ground floor have painted stone sills, those on first floor painted stone sill band returned from side elevation. Left return: 2 storeys, with basement beneath rear bays; 5 bays. Ground and first floor windows correspond to those on rear elevation. INTERIOR: not inspected. Chapel was closed for worship in 1929. (Royle E: Nonconformity in C19 York: York: 1985-: 4; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 54).
Listing NGR: SE6006451982

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR Information:

No further description provided.

Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Architectural Survey
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Aug 19 2019 10:04AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.