SE6151SW LAWRENCE STREET 1112-1/23/532 (North side) 19/08/71 Nos.29 AND 31 St Lawrence Working Men's Club
House, now working men's club. Late C18; east wing added early C19. West wing incomplete in 1849. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings. The roofs are hipped, of concrete tile to the main house and slate to the wings. EXTERIOR: symmetrical, with 3-storey 3-bay main house and 2-storey one-bay wings. The ground and first floor windows have sill bands, and there is a storey band between the ground and 1st floors. The windows have rubbed brick flat arches and are sashed, except for those to the west wing which are glazing bar sashes and those to the 2nd floor which are fixed with glazing bars. A change in brick colour suggests that the 2nd floor may be an addition. The doorway has a doorcase with tall Tuscan pilasters, a plain hood replacing a pediment, and a semicircular overlight above a door with 6 raised and fielded panels. The main house has a modillion cornice gutter and the wings have gutters carried on paired rectangular brackets. Chimneys to left and right of main house. INTERIOR: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 81).
Listing NGR: SE6123351394