Building record MYO1318 - ST LAWRENCE WORKING MENS CLUB

Summary

St Lawrence Working Men's Club, York, was originally built as a house and dates to the late 18th century. An east wing was added in the early 19th century and by 1849 the west wing was partially complete. It is thought to have been converted for use as a psychiatric hospital in 1870. Built in brick in Flemish bond, the building has painted stone dressings, hipped roofs and concrete tile to the main house and slate to the wings. The entrance fa├žade is symmetrical and the three-storey main house is of three bays, while the one-bay wings are two-storeys. The ground and first floor windows have sill bands, and there is a storey band between the ground and first floors. The windows have rubbed brick flat arches and are sashed, except for those to the west wing which are glazing bar sashes and those to the second floor which are fixed with glazing bars. A change in brick colour suggests that the second floor may be an addition. The doorway has a doorcase with tall Tuscan pilasters, a plain hood replacing a pediment, and a semicircular overlight above a door. The main house has a modillion cornice gutter and the wings have gutters carried on paired rectangular brackets. There are chimneys to the left and right of main house.

Location

Grid reference SE 6123 5139 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

House, now working men's club. Late C18; east wing added early C19. West wing incomplete in 1849. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings. The roofs are hipped, of concrete tile to the main house and slate to the wings. EXTERIOR: symmetrical, with 3-storey 3-bay main house and 2-storey one-bay wings. The ground and first floor windows have sill bands, and there is a storey band between the ground and 1st floors. The windows have rubbed brick flat arches and are sashed, except for those to the west wing which are glazing bar sashes and those to the 2nd floor which are fixed with glazing bars. A change in brick colour suggests that the 2nd floor may be an addition. The doorway has a doorcase with tall Tuscan pilasters, a plain hood replacing a pediment, and a semicircular overlight above a door with 6 raised and fielded panels. The main house has a modillion cornice gutter and the wings have gutters carried on paired rectangular brackets. Chimneys to left and right of main house. INTERIOR: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 81).
Listing NGR: SE6123351394

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005


On-Site Archaeology, 2014, 29-33 Lawrence Street (Unpublished document). SYO1772.

2015, Lawrence Street WMC Building Assessment (Unpublished document). SYO1771.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: 2015. Lawrence Street WMC Building Assessment.
  • --- Unpublished document: On-Site Archaeology. 2014. 29-33 Lawrence Street.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Dec 24 2019 1:09PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.