EYO7298 - 39 Bootham
|Grid reference||SE 5999 5236 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
York Archaeological Trust
39 Bootham was built c.1746 as part of a terrace of houses. The building comprises a three storey end-of-terrace house with a basement, attic and two-storey rear wing. The house is constructed of red brick with painted stone dressings. The principal elevation faces south-west onto Bootham. The main range has a gabled M-shaped roof clad in plain tiles and pan tiles whilst the rear range has a gabled roof glad in Welsh slate and pan tiles. The house originally consisted of just the main range, but cartographic evidence and that of the building’s fabric suggests that the building’s rear wing was constructed in a piecemeal fashion over a number of years before being completely replaced by the present structure in the late 19th century. The main range itself was overhauled itself in c.1800 with modifications to the windows and the decorative scheme to the ground and first floors. The second floor and staircase are well preserved and are probably original to the house. The ground floor was converted into a shop in the early 20th century, before the house was purchased and restored by the Hartley family in the late 20th century giving the house its current appearance and layout.
- --- SYO2451 Unpublished document: York Archaeological Trust. 2020. 39 Bootham.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Record last edited
Jun 5 2020 8:58AM