Building record MYO1817 - 39, 41 and 43 Bootham and attached railings

Summary

Formerly known as: Nos.39, 41 AND 43 BOOTHAM. Three houses, now two houses (No.43 and the former No.41 combined as one property)

Location

Grid reference SE 5999 5236 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

Formerly known as: Nos.39, 41 AND 43 BOOTHAM. Three houses, now two houses (No.43 and the former No.41 combined as one property and now part of school). 1748; altered c1800, late C19, and late C20. Builder Thomas Griffith. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings and tile roof.

EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic and cellar. 9 bays, with each former house of 3 bays. The facade has quoins with alternating rustication at the right, 2 storey bands, and a modillion gutter cornice. The windows have rubbed brick flat arches with keyblocks. They are sashed, and those to the right-hand 3 bays have had their glazing bars restored in the C20. The 2 right-hand ground-floor windows are a C20 reconstruction, replacing an inserted shopfront. The 2nd and 3rd bays have a 2-storey late C19 canted bay window. No.43 has 3 flat-roofed attic dormers. The left-hand bay of No.43 has a C19 doorcase with a dentilled pediment on console brackets, with a semicircular overlight, enriched keyblock, and a 6-panel door. The doorcase to No.39, in the 7th bay, has engaged reeded Composite columns with paterae above caps, enriched open pediment, fanlight, and swags and a mask in the tympanum. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels. To the right of the 3rd bay there is a lead hopper and downpipe. 3 axial chimneys behind ridge.

INTERIOR: not inspected. Nos 39 and 43 were recorded by RCHM as retaining most of their original staircases, with open strings and turned balusters. Also recorded as retaining a fireplace and some panelling. No.45 (qv) at the left originally formed part of the same terrace but was re-fronted in the late C19. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement area is enclosed by plain iron railings on low stone copings.

(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 56-7). Listing NGR: SE6000052362

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Nos. 39–43, there are now only two doorways, one with a semi- circular fanlight in an open pediment of c. 1800 [No. 39], and one with a late 19th-century door-case. The fenestration (is not original with all windows to the front elevation of No. 39 having been elongated). Nos. 41 and 43 were joined into one in c. 1800 and, together with No. 39, were extensively refitted. At this time an entrance hall was added to No. 39 whose plan originally had a front door which opened directly into the front reception room. For the interior the RCHME adds recorded that on the top floor, No. 39 retains an original fireplace and panelling ….. and most of the original staircase remains … with open strings and turned balusters. Otherwise fittings are mostly early 19th-century with free use of reeding and mouldings of symmetrical section combined with composition decoration almost certainly by Thomas Wolstenholme.

In the early twentieth century, the ground floor of 39 Bootham was converted into a shop, although there are no records stating when this occurred exactly. This was used for a framers or photographers, and later as a doctors residence and surgerywith the shop used as the waiting room. An inter-conecting door was created at this time to the side of the ground floot fireplace to admit patients into the consulting room beyond which was located in the rear ground floor room. Dr H N Goode owned the building from 1919-26 and then sold the property and, presumably the practice, to Dr Lister. The elongated first and second floor windows dating to the 1800 refit, the former shop front and, to the side elevation, two of three additional projecting bay windows, the nearest of which was subsequently removed by the Hartleys. These bays were added in the early 1930’s by Stubbs the electrian who owned the property from 1930-1933 after which time bankruptcy forced him to sell the property.

41-43 Bootham now have substantial dormer windows on the front facing roof slopes that are twentieth century replacements of earlier dormer windows and small roof lights.


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

1 Voyage Ltd, 2019, 39 Bootham HIA (Unpublished document). SYO2340.

York Archaeological Trust, 2020, 39 Bootham (Unpublished document). SYO2451.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Unpublished document: 1 Voyage Ltd. 2019. 39 Bootham HIA.
  • --- Unpublished document: York Archaeological Trust. 2020. 39 Bootham.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

May 11 2020 10:55AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.