EYO7815 - The Chantry, Bishopthorpe
|Location||The Chantry, Bishopthorpe|
|Grid reference||SE 5974 4768 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
1 Voyage Ltd
The Chantry is grade II listed, early to mid-eighteenth-century house. It was built prior to the demolition of the adjacent medieval church and outlived the church’s eighteenth-century replacement which is now in ruins. It is thought that The Chantry was built as a Vicarage to serve the medieval church, possibly following the demolition of a medieval chantry house on lower ground to the east. It was extended substantially during the nineteenth century to the rear (south) and also underwent alteration during the twenty-first century. The former stable block and coach house have been converted to create annexe accommodated called Magnolia Cottage. As a pre-1948 structure this constitutes a curtilage listed building. Historic mapping indicates that The Chantry garden is likely to be the site of an earlier medieval chantry site. This was probably connected to the medieval church that previously occupied the site of the ruined church of St Andrew. Oral records report that the current tennis courts, which occupy a level platform of higher ground which sits in line with the nearby church, were built on the site of the medieval chantry.
- --- SYO2572 Unpublished document: 1 Voyage Ltd. 2020. The Chantry, Bishopthorpe.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 3:12PM