EYO7820 - 20-22 Toft Green
|Location||20-22 Toft Green|
|Grid reference||SE 5975 5153 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
York Archaeological Trust
Watching briefs and excavations along Toft Green, Micklegate and Tanner Row show that remains of high-status Roman buildings, and other associated structures, are very likely located within and beyond the study area. Excavations within 250m of the site have also shown there is a high preservation of early Roman timber buildings beneath later stone buildings. Overall, there is a high potential of Roman structural remains and settlement activity within the proposed development area. There is no direct archaeological evidence of Anglian and Anglo-Scandinavian activity within the close vicinity of the study site, however, post-Roman and early medieval archaeology is known to exist in the intra-mural area south-west of the Ouse from this period and a hoard of pre-conquest coins has been found close to Micklegate Bar (UI 23b). In addition, there was a change in street layout and names during the 8th century in this part of York, suggesting a continuation of occupation in the area after the Roman period. This indicates that there is a low-medium potential for Anglian and Anglo-Scandinavian activity within the proposed development area. There is a high potential for medieval remains within the proposed development site. Micklegate, to the immediate east of the study site, was a main thoroughfare during this period, with both above-ground, and below-ground, evidence of the medieval burgage plots and timber buildings recorded along it. The site is close to the City Walls and Micklegate Bar (UIs 22 and23) and archaeological investigations along Toft Green and Tanner Row have provided evidence of industrial activity, buildings and rubbish dump deposits. In addition, while it is commonly believed that the church of St. Nicholas was located within the Holy Trinity Priory complex , the 1852 OS suggests that there may have been a church within the site boundary until the mid-16th century. Analysis of historic maps shows that there have been buildings on the Toft Green frontage since at least 1610. Development of the site over the years has included the construction of smaller outbuildings and gardens relating to properties fronting on to Toft Green and Bar Lane, which were subsequently extended and/or built over by domestic buildings in the midlate 19th century. Accordingly, there is a high potential for 19th/20th century remains to be present across the site and a medium potential for post-medieval remains relating to the gardens and outbuildings of the earlier dwellings.
- --- SYO2581 Unpublished document: York Archaeological Trust. 2019. 20-22 Toft Green, York.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
- MYO5229 Possible site of St Nicholas Church (Monument)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2021 9:52AM