Monument record MYO5229 - Possible site of St Nicholas Church
|Grid reference||SE 5974 5152 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
Around 1080 AD another religious house was founded south-east of Micklegate when the Holy Trinity Church was re-established as a Benedictine Priory; the priory also served the lay parish of St. Nicholas.However, it is unclear whether the priory church served a dual purpose or if a separate church of St. Nicholas ever stood. In either case, St. Nicholas was amalgamated to Holy Trinity in the mid-16th century.
Additional detail of the 1852 map depicts formal gardens to the rear of the Bar Lane and Toft Green buildings. In addition, the supposed site of St. Nicholas Church is marked as being within the site boundary (Plate 4), although it remains unclear as to whether St. Nicholas ever stood as a separate church. Perhaps more likely is that part of Holy Trinity Priory was set aside for the lay parishioners of St. Nicholas’ prior to the amalgamation of the two churches in the mid-16th century (Wilson and Mee 1998, 138).
York Archaeological Trust, 2019, 20-22 Toft Green, York (Unpublished document). SYO2581.
- --- SYO2581 Unpublished document: York Archaeological Trust. 2019. 20-22 Toft Green, York.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 9 2020 2:14PM