Monument record MYO1062 - YORK CITY WALLS (LENDAL TOWER)
|Grid reference||SE 5999 5195 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (9)
- TOWER (c1300, Medieval - 1280 AD to 1320 AD)
- TOWER (1616, Early C17 - 1616 AD to 1616 AD)
- WATER TOWER (c1677, Mid C17 to Late C17 - 1657 AD to 1697 AD)
- OFFICE (c1846, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1826 AD to 1866 AD)
- OFFICE (1932, C20 - 1932 AD to 1932 AD)
- WATERWORKS (Late C17 to Mid C19 - 1677 AD to 1836 AD)
- TOWER (Repaired, Post Medieval - 1584 AD to 1585 AD)
- BOOM TOWER (Repaired, Post Medieval - 1584 AD to 1585 AD)
- BOOM TOWER (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1315 AD)
Defensive tower converted for use as water tower, now used as offices. c1300; heightened 1616, strengthened and extended c1677; altered for offices c1846; refitted 1932. Magnesian limestone, much re-used and including carved fragments of canopy, finial and other mouldings from the ruins of St Mary's Abbey: roof not visible but said to be of copper. EXTERIOR: 3-stage circular tower with extruded circular stair tower, on chamfered plinth; 3-storey extension. All parts are embattled. Tower entered through Lendal Hill House: unused C19 shouldered doorway with panelled double doors survives in extension. Blocked slit lights are visible on ground floor of both towers: 1- and 2-light windows elsewhere in chamfered openings with chamfered mullions. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record brick partition wall on the lower storeys retaining evidence of engine housings; wooden spiral staircase in stair tower; rooms on first and second floors fitted with panelling. HISTORICAL NOTE: the tower was leased to the Waterworks Company by the York Corporation in 1677 for 500 years in return for a peppercorn rent, still paid annually by the Company in 1994. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: The Defences: HMSO: 1972-: 108). Listing NGR: SE5999151959
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Remains of the Mediaeval St Leonard's Tower or Lendal Tower are incorporated in the 17th century water tower and the remains of a postern can be seen in the waterworks' yard.
Correctly described. The emains of the Medieval tower probably comprise the lower courses of the present structure on the south and west sides. See GP AO/3/105/1 for south aspect of the tower.
The tower was originally a boom tower, circular and measuring 28 feet in diameter with walls 4 feet thick, with a spiral staircase in a turret to the NW. From 1616 the tower was used as a waterwork, the north and east sides being demolished to take the rectangular structure supporting the tank. The waterworks were improved in 1674, being enlarged and heightened. Between 1756-1836 the tower incorporated a steam engine to raise water to the cistern, but this was replaced in 1836 by a new engine house at Acomb landing. Restored as offices in 1932. Now a holiday let.
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 464253: LENDAL TOWER
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 2 2022 10:49AM