Building record MYO1220 - 11-13 Micklegate


Two houses built c.1740 and restored in the late 20th centur. They have a three storey, 4-window front of brick with paired 20th century shopfronts and 19th century bay windows. The roof is of half-hipped pantile with moulded dentilled and modillion eaves cornice.


Grid reference SE 6009 5161 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Formerly known as: No.13 MICKLEGATE. Two houses, now two shops. c1740, restored late C20. Variegated brick, original build in Flemish bond; moulded dentilled and modillion eaves cornice, returned at right end; half-hipped pantile roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. Paired C20 shopfronts beneath continuous cornice on ground floor. C19 bay windows on first floor replaced by C20 unequal 15-pane sashes with soldier brick arches; second floor windows 12-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick. All upper floor windows have renewed stone sills. For some years until 1830, No.13 was the residence of Henry Cave, noted York watercolourist and engraver. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 165; RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 72).
Listing NGR: SE6009551612

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Houses, Nos. 11, 13, were built as a single structure c. 1740. The building was in two moieties, of which that to E. (No. 11) was bought in 1830, from the heirs of John Green, plane-maker, by Robert Gray, builder, for £745; it had recently been occupied by Thomas Rayson senior, builder, who had moved to No. 16 South Parade (see p. 129). The adjacent No. 13, which had earlier been occupied by John Batty, drawing master, was for many years the home of Henry Cave the artist, who soon after 1830 moved across to No. 12 (see (56). YCA, E.98, f. 114; Directories).

The brick front (Plate 53) has 19th-century shopfronts inserted at ground floor and two angular bay windows, probably of c. 1830–40 added above. On the second floor two windows retain original sashes. The two houses were identical in plan, with open staircases placed transversely between front and back rooms.

Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96. British History Online [accessed 11 April 2017].

Information from NMR
BF060796 11-13 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 4 2020 2:24PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.