Building record MYO1244 - 87 Low Petergate
|Grid reference||SE 6039 5200 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
- SHOP (Late C19 alterations, Late C19 - 1867 AD to 1899 AD)
- HOUSE (Built late C14- early C15, Medieval - 1367 AD to 1432 AD)
- SHOP (C20 alterations, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered late C15, Medieval - 1467 AD to 1499 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered late C16 - early C17, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1567 AD to 1632 AD)
Formerly known as: No.51 and the building at the rear LOW PETERGATE. Two shops. Various dates, remodelled as one shop in late C19; further alterations in C20 and altered C19 shopfront. All parts timber-framed; front is stuccoed with planted framing and timber modillioned cornice; rear ground floor rendered, first floor of orange-brown brick in stretcher bond, with tumbled brick gable end; pantile roof with brick stack.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 2-window front, with jettied first and second floors. Double shopfront has paired glazed doors between plate glass windows framed in slender Corinthian colonnettes, with floral sprays in spandrels; plain fascia to first floor jetty, between grooved brackets, with shaped brackets below. First floor windows are canted bays with 4:12:4-pane sashes; on second floor, four 2x6-pane Yorkshire sashes. Rear: 2-storey gable wall with tapered headed post, braces and wall plates exposed.
INTERIOR: in both shops mid C19 cooking ranges survive, one by J Hardgrave of York in plain painted stone surround on first floor in right shop; the other at rear of ground floor in left shop. Right shop has staircase balustrade of early C18 turned balusters re-used with C19 handrail and newels.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 196). Listing NGR: SE6039052003
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No. 87 consists of three main blocks, marked 'A', 'B' and 'C' on the block plan. At the N.E., the forward block A (26 ft. by 16 ft) runs parallel to Petergate and its two upper storeys are jettied towards the thoroughfare. The building has been greatly altered by conversion to shop premesis, and most of the S.W. wall has been removed to connect the buildings at the rear and form a large shop area. Little timber framing remains exposed and it is, therefore, difficult to ascibe a firm date to the building, but it is probably of the late 16th or early 17th century.
Block B (55 ft. by 12 ft 4 in.), adjoining the rear of block A at the N.W. end, is of five bays and three storeys, though not as tall as the forward block. It is probably of late 15th-century date, as the roof structure has a crown-post and collar-purlin (braced). Most of the walling has been rebuilt in brick and many of the cross-beams and posts are cased, but in the S.E. corner at the S.W. end, some of the timber framing remains visible internally. The S.W. end truss has been modified, but appears to be an 'open truss', built against an earlier structure, block C.
At the S.W. end of the complex, block C (20 ft. by 16 ft.), known as The Old Racket as early as 1694 (Deeds), is the most interesting building of the group and probably dates from the late 14th or early 15th century. It also has been considerably altered and is now of two storeys and one and a half bays, the S.W. by a bay or more. The first floor is jettied towards the S.E. side.
Monument 367. 1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 196. London: RCHME
Former name: The Old Racket
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061048 87 LOW PETERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
May 22 2020 11:07AM