Building record MYO1311 - 9 Lendal, Judges Lodging
|Grid reference||SE 6011 5200 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (10)
- TOWN HOUSE (c1715, Late C17 to Mid C18 - 1695 AD to 1735 AD)
- STEPS (c1715, Late C17 to Mid C18 - 1695 AD to 1735 AD)
- RAILINGS (c1715, Late C17 to Mid C18 - 1695 AD to 1735 AD)
- SERVICE WING (Later C18, Mid C18 to Late C18 - 1734 AD to 1799 AD)
- TOWN HOUSE (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- TOWN HOUSE (c1840, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1820 AD to 1860 AD)
- TOWN HOUSE (1936, C20 - 1936 AD to 1936 AD)
- HOUSE (c.1715, Early C18 - 1710 AD to 1720 AD)
- RAINWATER HEAD (1936, C20 - 1936 AD to 1936 AD)
- HOTEL (Mid-late C20, C20 to Unknown - 1950 AD)
Formerly known as: The Judge's Lodging LENDEL. Town house and steps attached to front; now hotel. c1715; later C18 service wing, extended in early C19, raised c1840; second extension of 1936. For Dr Clifton Wintringham.
MATERIALS: front of orange brick in Flemish bond on chamfered brick basement; stone doorcase; right return of red-brown brick in stretcher bond; brick stacks to tiled roof of two parallel hipped ranges. Service wing of red-brown brick in Flemish bond, extended in stretcher bond, raised in pink-cream brick in Flemish garden wall variant; doorcase and cornice of timber; tiled roof with brick stacks. Front steps of red brick in Flemish bond with stone treads and cast-iron railings.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, basement and attic; 3 unequal bays, articulated by plain pilasters, centre bay projecting: to right, lower 3-storey 5-bay service wing: to left, 1-storey 2-bay extension. Double flight of curved steps with plain railings and handrail leads to main entrance in centre of ground floor. Ionic Venetian arch, set beneath carved swag in stone screen, contains glazed and panelled door flanked by 8-pane sashes. Arch keystone carved as mask of Aesculapius. Windows in outer bays on ground floor and all windows on first floor are unequal 15-pane sashes with cambered arches of gauged brick, triple keyblocks and sills of painted stone. Attic windows are squat 3x2-pane lights above broad stepped brick band interrupted by stone window sills. Centre windows on first and attic floors have triple-keyed fasciated architraves of stone, first floor one eared, with moulded stone sill and apron. Brick parapet with flat stone coping masks roof. Service wing has open pedimented central doorcase of plain pilasters with moulded imposts and door of 6 fielded panels beneath radial fanlight. Windows are 12-pane sashes with slightly cambered brick arches: two on each side flank door on ground floor and blank centre bay on first floor; 3 windows on second floor are arranged symmetrically. Prominent moulded and pulvinated eaves cornice. Extension to left has doors in both bays and rainwater goods dated 1936.
INTERIOR: ground floor: entrance hall flanked by fluted Corinthian columns with enriched entablature: marbled stone fireplace with panel overmantel. Rear left room: lined with raised and fielded panelling beneath moulded cornice enriched with egg-and-dart: panelled shutters: stone fireplace with fasciated surround, cast-iron grate and bolection moulded overmantel framed by fluted Ionic pilasters and entablature. Rear right room: lined with fielded panelling in attached
surrounds beneath cornice enriched with acanthus and palmette, bead and reel, and egg and flower mouldings: panelled shutters and window seat: marbled stone fireplace with cast-iron grate and panelled overmantel flanked by sunk panel pilasters with moulded capitals and entablature. Front right room: lined in raised and fielded panelling: panelled shutters: pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice to coved ceiling: stone fireplace with moulded surround and panelled overmantel flanked by panelled pilasters.
Main staircase rises from ground to first floor with cantilevered treads, fluted Ionic column balusters and moulded serpentine handrail wreathed at foot around fluted column newel on shaped curtail step: sunk-panelled dado. Lit by Ionic Venetian window with full entablature. Secondary staircase rises from ground floor to attics with close string, column-on-vase balusters and plain handrail. First floor: panelled plaster ceiling over main staircase has groined coving springing from acanthus corbels with wheatear pendants and quatrefoil centre panel. Panelled round-arched openings lead to main corridor with groin-vaulted ceiling and 6 panel doors in panelled reveals. Rear left room: bolection moulded panelling and moulded cornice of modillions and paterae: panelled shutters: fireplace with egg-and-dart surround, moulded cornice shelf and cast-iron grate. Rear right room: sunk-panelled dado beneath moulded dado rail: panelled shutters and window seats: moulded dentilled cornice: fireplace with carved surround, moulded cornice shelf and basket grate. Front room: lined in bolection moulded panelling above moulded dado rail and fielded and sunk dado panelling: shutters and window seats of raised and fielded panels: moulded cornice: stone fasciated fireplace with cast-iron grate. Attic: ceilings are deeply coved. Some 2-panel doors survive.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 152).
Listing NGR: SE6011552002
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
The Judge's Lodging, No. 9, was built by Dr. Clifton Wintringham between 1711, when he came to York, and c. 1727 when it was illustrated on Cossins' map. According to Drake it stands on part of the old churchyard of St. Wilfrid's. The house stands detached, compact and tall, unlike any other in the city. A small two-storey service wing was added to the S.E. in the 18th century. It became the Judge's Lodging in 1806 and the service wing was extended from two bays to five, and later in the century a third storey was added to the whole wing. At the N. corner of the house is a boundary stone marked St. W. Inside, many of the rooms retain panelling with a variety of mouldings.
The house is of three storeys, raised on a basement, and is of brick with some stone dressings under a double-span tiled roof. The front has a wide central bay projecting slightly in front of narrower side bays, all defined by plain brick pilasters; the top storey is treated as an attic with stringcourses below and above. The central entrance is now approached by two 19th-century flights of steps, which replace an original single flight. The doorway is set in a stone centre-piece, with flanking windows forming a Palladian motif with Ionic columns; the arch over the doorway has a large key-block, carved with a bearded face, and over all are heavy festoons of fruit under a simple moulded cornice. Both the central windows above have stone architraves. The other elevations are plainly treated and the added wing has plain hung-sash windows and a central doorway with semicircular fanlight in the open pediment of a timber door-case.
The entrance hall has the side walls divided by Corinthian half-columns under a full entablature. The Dining Room and Breakfast Room are lined with fielded panelling under full entablatures and have pilasters flanking the fireplaces. The study is also panelled. A little room in the W. corner now contains a modern staircase, leading up from a small added modern entrance. The main staircase, which only rises to the first floor, is oval on plan and has oak balusters in the form of Ionic columns. The stairs are lit by a Palladian window with Ionic pilasters between the lights carrying a full entablature. The ceiling has a central panelled area bordered by groined coving. On the first floor groined plaster vaulting forms the ceiling to the corridor. The front bedroom is lined with bolection-moulded panelling above a dado of sunk panels, reused or partly reconstructed. The Drawing Room has simpler panelling of applied mouldings. Most of the rooms have original fireplace surrounds, many containing good early 19th-century iron grates. The secondary staircase has close strings and simple turned balusters. On the second floor, the ceilings have unusually large coves. The basement rooms, including the kitchen, are covered by three-centred vaults. They have been much modernised.
Monument 250; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 152
(SE 60115200) Judge's Residence (NAT)
5343 LENDAL (north-east side)
No 9 (formerly listed as The Judge's Lodging)
SE 6052 SW 27 301 14.6.54
SE 6051 NW 28/301
Circa 1720. Brick; 3 storeys raised on a basement; plain brick pilasters at sides and flanking slightly projecting centre bay; 3 sash windows, the central featured in moulded stone architrave
with triple keyblock and plain apron panel; double brick string-courses between upper storeys; Stone Venetian style doorway with Ionic columns on plinths, semi-circular central light with head of Aesculapius as keyblock, and heavy swag over - the whole set within a large rectangular stone panel;
double and curving flight of steps up with ironwork handrail; brick eaves parapet above string-course. Good interior with original staircase, decorative plasterwork and panelling.
(RCHM Vol. V, Monument 250.)
1 Ordnance Survey Map. OS 1:2500 1963.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p170 City of York, June 1983.
BF060748 THE JUDGE'S LODGING, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- WATCHING BRIEF: JUDGE'S LODGING HOTEL, 9 LENDAL (EYO7460)
- EXCAVATION: JUDGE'S LODGING HOTEL, 9 LENDAL (EYO7463)
- WATCHING BRIEF: JUDGE'S LODGINGS, LENDAL (EYO7663)
- WATCHING BRIEF: JUDGE'S LODGINGS, LENDAL (EYO7664)
- OTHER: NRHE to HER Project (EYO6536)
- BUILDING RECORDING: The Judges Lodging Level 1 Photographic Survey (EYO5919)
Record last edited
Feb 10 2021 2:41PM