Building record MYO1735 - YORK CEMETERY LODGE

Summary

The Cemetery Lodge at York Cemetery was designd by James Pigott Pritchett for the York General Cemetery. It was built in 1837 with alterations dating to 1892. The building has a 2-storey 3-bay central range with a single storey 3-bay extension at the front, and a 2-storey 2-bay extension at the rear.

Location

Grid reference SE 6097 5086 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Lodge. 1837; altered and extended 1892. By JP Pritchett. For The York Public Cemetery Company. Ashlar with extensions of rendered brick; shallow pitched slate roofs and stone or rendered stacks. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-bay central range with 1-storey 3-bay extension at front, one side canted towards street, and 2-storey 2-bay extension at rear. Front extension on low plinth is framed in clasping pilasters which support moulded cornice and low parapet. Door is glazed and panelled and windows are 12-pane sashes. Central range has pedimented gable ends with clasping pilaster strips at the corners supporting plain entablature continued around entire block. Centre area of both gable walls occupied by windows on both floors set between shallow full height pilasters: windows were originally bordered 12-pane sashes on ground floor, squat 6-pane sashes with stone sills on first floor but have been altered or boarded up. In the returns there is a single 2-light window with stone sill on the first floor. Cemetery front of rear block has plain door with overlight, 12-pane sash window on ground floor to left, high 2-light window to right. Rear gable end is an open pediment on clasping pilaster strips, and has one round-headed 4-pane sash window with sill on first floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Murray H: This Garden of Death: York: 1992-: 29).
Listing NGR: SE6097650865

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

The Cemetery Lodge at York Cemetery was designd by James Pigott Pritchett for the York General Cemetery. It was built in 1837 with alterations dating to 1892. The building has a 2-storey 3-bay central range with a single storey 3-bay extension at the front, and a 2-storey 2-bay extension at the rear. (1)

1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest 1112-1 City of York, June 1983

NMR Related object BF060235 CEMETERY CHAPEL, YORK
NMR related event 1995 Architectural Survey RCHME

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 24 2019 11:41AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.