Building record MYO1736 - YORK CEMETERY CHAPEL

Summary

A Greek Revival style cemetery chapel in York Cemetery. The chapel was designed by James Pigott Pritchett in 1837 for the York General Cemetery Company. It is built of limestone ashlar from Roche Abbey with a shallow pitched slate roof. A restoration of the building took place in 1987-92 for York Cemetery Trust.

Location

Grid reference SE 6107 5082 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Formerly known as: The Mortuary Chapel CEMETERY ROAD. Cemetery chapel. Designed by JP Pritchett in 1837 for The York Public Cemetery Company; restored 1987-92 for York Cemetery Trust. Limestone ashlar from Roche Abbey; shallow pitched slate roof with stone copings. EXTERIOR: 1-storey 7-bay block on basement plinth with Ionic tetrastyle portico approached by 3 steps to north. Basement houses vaults approached by steps down to plain doorway at rear with the word CATACOMBS incised in the lintel: other plinth openings behind iron grilles light the vaults. Pedimented portico of fluted columns supports plain entablature which extends around entire building. At rear of portico Doric antae flank double doors of moulded sunk panels in moulded doorcase with cornice. Both returns to building are pedimented over attached distyle in antis temple fronts of fluted Ionic columns. At rear and in both returns are tapered 9-pane windows in raised eared architraves with sills. INTERIOR: divided into 7x3 bays by attached pilasters of marbled wood with floret necking, standing on high dado with moulded rail. Doorcase is of marbled wood: window architraves repeat those on exterior. Moulded cornice to ceiling which is coffered with plain beams. (Murray H: This Garden of Death: York: 1992-; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 29).
Listing NGR: SE6107550824

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR: (SE 61085082) Mortuary Chapel (NAT) (1)

A Greek Revival style cemetery chapel in York Cemetery. The chapel was designed by James Pigott Pritchett in 1837 for the York General Cemetery Company. It is built of limestone ashlar from Roche Abbey with a shallow pitched slate roof. A restoration of the building took place in 1987-92 for York Cemetery Trust. (2)

1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 1:2500 1963.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest 1112-1 City of York, June 1983

Related event - RCHME Archtiectural Survey 1995
Object; BF060235 CEMETERY CHAPEL, YORK

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (3)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 24 2019 11:41AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.