Building record MYO1793 - INGRAM HOUSE

Summary

Since 1958 a dwelling divided into apartments, the building was originally built circa 1639 as almshouses by Sir Arthur Ingram and formerly known as Ingram's Hospital. It was repaired in 1649. The building was It is constructed of red brick on a stone plinth with stone dressings. The 3-storeyed centre portion has one window. The 2-storeyed wings each have 5 leaded casement windows with stuccoed keyed surrounds, those to thev ground storey are in stone keyed surrounds and have panelled shutters. There are 10 doorways in stone surrounds with 4-centred arched heads. there is a string-course at 1st floor. The building incorporates at centre late 12th century arched doorway from the demolished part of Holy Trinity Church, Micklegate. There is a parapet to centre portion which contains a former chapel at the rear. The wings of the building are tiled. Internally the building is altered and converted to modern dwellings.

Location

Grid reference SE 5977 5253 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Almshouses, now flats. 1630-32 with re-set C12 archway; extensive repairs in 1649; altered 1958. Narrow red brick in English bond with limestone ashlar plinth and dressings of painted stone and render. Plain tiled roof. EXTERIOR: almost symmetrical, with a central one-bay 4-storey tower and with 2-storey ranges to left and right, each with 5 houses of one bay each. The left-hand range has a doorway to the left of each ground-floor window, and the right-hand range has the doorways to the right. Above the ground floor there is a painted moulded string course. The windows have 2 leaded casement lights and surrounds of painted render. The ground-floor windows have external timber shutters and the 1st floor surrounds are rebated and chamfered. The doorways have chamfered surrounds with false 4-centred heads. The central tower has a ground-floor window to the left of the doorway, and a smaller square 1st floor window. The re-set doorway is of limestone and has a round arch of 2 orders with a label, all enriched with nail-head ornament. The tower roof is hidden by a parapet with coping, and chimneys rise at all 4 corners. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records that most of the C17 internal fittings were removed c1958 when converted to flats. HISTORICAL NOTE: built by Sir Arthur Ingram of York, who died in 1640. Badly damaged in the siege of York. The archway came from the demolished part of Holy Trinity Priory church, Micklegate, and was incorporated in the almshouses when they were first built. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: London: 1975-: 49).
Listing NGR: SE5977652530

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

NMR:

SE 59785253 Ingram House (NAT) (1)

1.
5343 BOOTHAM (south-west side)
Ingram House
SE 5952 NE 7/111 14.6.54
Grade II*
2.
Built circa 1639 as almshouses by Sir Arthur Ingram and formerly
known as Ingram's Hospital. Red brick on stone plinth and with
stone dressings; 3-storeyed centre portion (one window) and
2-storeyed wings each with 5 leaded casement windows in stuccoed
keyed surrounds, those to ground storey in stone keyed
surrounds and with panelled shutters; 10 doorways in stone
surrounds with 4-centred arched heads; string-course at 1st
floor. The building incorporates at centre late C12 arched
doorway from the demolished part of Holy Trinity Church,
Micklegate which is of 2 orders with a label and enriched with
nail-head ornament; parapet to centre portion which contains
a former chapel at rear; tile roof to wings. Internally the
building is altered and converted to modern dwellings.
(RCHM Vol IV, Monument 23) (2)

1 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION OS 1:2500 1962.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest DOE (HHR) City of York N Yorks June 1983 34

Related Archives/Objects ?

BF060258 INGRAM HOUSE, YORK
OP08136 A view of Ingram House Almshouses, York from the north
OP08145 The street facade of Ingram House, also known as Ingram's Hospital


NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Sep 19 2019 2:31PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.