Building record MYO1879 - 47 and 49 Aldwark

Summary

No summary available.

Location

Grid reference SE 6071 5200 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

4 ranges of school buildings, now offices. Range of 1870 by JB and W Atkinson; other ranges of 1887 and 1901 by Demaine and Brierley. For the York Blue Coat School. MATERIALS: orange and orange-grey brick in English and English garden-wall bonds, No.49 retaining remnants of earlier brick in Flemish and stretcher bonds. Nos 47 and 49 have moulded brick dressings, terracotta also to No.49. Stone coped slate roofs with brick stacks. Ranges form three sides of yard to rear of St Anthony's Hall, Peasholme Green (qv). EXTERIOR: No.47: 3 storeys, 5 unequal bays. Entrance from courtyard. 3-light windows on ground floor have flat hoodmoulds and segmental relieving arches; 2-light first floor windows flat arches of soldier brick; segment-gabled half dormers on second floor 2-light windows with header brick arches. Single light windows in left end half bay. All windows are mullioned and transomed. Moulded brick string beneath second floor windows. Courtyard front: 3 storeys, 2 bays, with 3-storey gabled wing projecting to right. Glazed and panelled door in altered opening to right of segmental carriage arch closed by board doors. 2-light casement windows are mullioned and transomed, those on first floor with segmental arches, on second floor in gabled half dormers. Wing has 2 doors on ground floor, one glazed and panelled, one of diagonal boarding. Plain bargeboards to gable end. No.49: 3-storey 3-bay front. To left, altered opening contains segmental carriage arch with board doors and 3-light window, each beneath flat hoodmould. To right, 3x6-pane segment-arched window and hoodmould over shaped apron. On first and second floors, 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with shaped aprons on first floor have triangular pediments breaking into plain aprons beneath similar windows in pedimented half-dormers on second floor. Small 6-pane light with shaped apron beneath segmental arch and hoodmould at right end of first floor. Moulded eaves course. All windows are casements with shaped stone sills. On courtyard side, school bell on wrought-iron bracket survives over 6-panel door in projecting closet at left end. Within carriageway, blocked opening beneath semicircular arch on imposts survives. Range at rear of courtyard: 2 storeys, 7 windows. At right end, glazed and panelled door beneath 30-pane staircase window with cambered head. Other windows segment-arched 12-pane sashes with stone sills, arranged 1:2:1, flanking two extruded stacks. Range to left of courtyard: 2 storeys, 5 windows. Ground floor
openings mostly altered: on first floor windows are 12-pane sashes with brick sills and slightly cambered arches of gauged brick. Brick dentil eaves course. INTERIORS: there are no fittings of note except stone staircase with cast-iron stick bannisters and serpentine handrail in rear range, and cast-iron fireplace in second floor room in No.49. (City of York: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 91).
Listing NGR: SE6072452025

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 1 2015 3:30PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.