Monument record MYO2187 - Bluecoat School

Summary

Blue Coat School. This charity school was opened in 1705 in St. Anthony's Hall which was provided and furnished for the purpose by the corporation. A subscription fund was opened to provide for the annual expenses; the archbishop and the chapter were also concerned in the foundation. In 1707 the income from subscriptions was said to be £200. Subsequently several endowments were received. (fn. 91) The school was managed by a committee appointed from the subscribers. (fn. 92) There was boarding accommodation for 40 boys between the ages of 7 and 12 years who were either orphans or the children of poor freemen with large families. They were taught reading, writing, and the rudiments of arithmetic and were instructed in the catechism. Each boy received clothing annually; the coats were of blue cloth faced with yellow. No children but those provided for by the charity were to be admitted to the school. (fn. 93) In 1764 there were said to be 45 boys and 2 girls (who did domestic work) in the school; besides attending to their lessons they were employed in spinning wool. (fn. 94) There were 56 boys and 3 girls in 1819; there had been 70 boys until the previous year. The master's salary was then £42, the assistant's £38; the income was £1,100 derived from lands and property; subscriptions were also received. (fn. 95) There were 64 boys between 9 and 14 years in the school in 1833. (fn. 96) The number of boys increased to 70 in 1850 after the receipt of a bequest from Dr. Stephen Beckwith of £2,000. (fn. 97) In 1914 new classrooms, an isolation hospital, and gymnasiums were built at a cost of £1,200. There were 60 boys in the school in 1922. (fn. 98) Teaching accommodation for the girls from the Grey Coat School was provided from 1929. A new playing field and pavilion were opened in 1938. The school was closed in 1946 and the boys sent to other schools in the city. (fn. 99) From: 'Schools and colleges', A History of the County of York: the City of York (1961), pp. 440-460. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36380 Date accessed: 12 November 2009. SYO1174 In 1914 new classrooms, an isolation hospital, and gymnasiums were built at a cost of £1,200. There were 60 boys in the school in 1922. Teaching accommodation for the girls from the Grey Coat School was provided from 1929. A new playing field and pavilion were opened in 1938. The school was closed in 1946 and the boys sent to other schools in the city. 1952-53 became Borthwick Institute. Coach house is located between St Anthony's Hall and St Cuthbert's church. This has been converted in 2008 into a restaurant and delicatessen.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6073 5202 (51m by 95m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Victoria County History, 1961, A History of the County of York: the City of York (Bibliographic reference). SYO1174.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History. 1961. A History of the County of York: the City of York.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2021 3:00PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.