Building record MYO1918 - CHURCH OF SAINT OSWALD
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6095 4953 (point)|
|Civil Parish||Fulford, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
Church. 1877-8. By J.P. Pritchett. Sandstone masonry with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. South-west. tower. 4-bay aisled nave with west and south entrances and transept, 2-bay chancel with south chapel and vestry and single north organ bay. Gothic Revival, early C14 style with Early Gothic style decoration to interior. West entrance: double plank doors in pointed surround and two orders of arches with roll-moulding on nook-shafts with foliate capitals, under hoodmould with face stops. Above a 4-light window with Geometrical tracery to head. 5-stage embattled tower: angle buttresses with off-sets. Plinth. South entrance to 1st stage a pointed plank door within surround with roll-moulding on pilasters. 2-light window with Geometrical tracery to head. Nave, transept and chancel: buttresses with off-sets. Plinth. 2- and 3-light traceried windows. Nave clerestory has quatrefoil window. Transept has rose window to each gable end. Chancel has trefoil-headed priest's doorway to south with plank door. 5-light traceried east window. Interior: nave has hammer-beam roof. Panelled roof to chancel. Pointed arcades have roll-moulding supported by short-piers with foliate capitals, on plinths. Pointed chancel arch on columns with similar capitals. Double arch between chancel and south chapel has quatrefoil to head. Similar capitals. 2 sedilia. Arch to north chancel aisle partly blocked by organ. Font, square on plan on 4 piers and stepped base and naturalistic decoration. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, 1978, pp.233.
Listing NGR: SE6095649536
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 14 2017 3:06PM