Monument record MYO2070 - Tenement 29 (83 Low Petergate)

Summary

NOTE SRRRJ text says 87 Low Petergate Between Tenements 28 and 30 (1, 7 13). Tenement 29 may originally have extended right back to Patrickpool, since in the later 13th century the same tenant held both this tenement and that in Patrickpool behind it (7). By 1334 however, the properties in Petergate and Patrickpool were held independently (8). Toward the rear of the property at 87 Low Petergate are one block of five bays and three storeys of the late 15th century, and another block, now of two storeys and one and a half bays of the late 14th or early 15th centuries (RCHMY, 5, 196, no 367).

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 60367 51993 (45m by 38m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (0)

Full Description

In 1276 both this and the neighbouring tenement (Tenement 30) were of the fee of St Peter of the prebend of Bramham, paying neither gavelgeld nor any other geld to the king. It was described in the survey of St Peter's Liberty made in March 1276 as:

Tota illa terra in Petergate que est inter terram
Nicholai de Langton (Tenement 31) et terram
vicariorum Sancti Petri (Tenement 28), quam
Ricardus de Craven (Tenement 29) et Johannes de
Parys (Tenement 30) tenent videlicet tofta duo,
sunt de terra Sancti Petri de prebenda de Bramham,
que nec dant gavelgeld nec aliter sunt geldabiles
(1).

If they had ever formed one tenement, by 1276 Tenements 29 and 30 were described as two tofts, Tenement 29 being held by Richard de Craven.

By the late 13th century there was an extensive hierarchy of landowners. By c. 1270 x 1295/96 Tenement 29 was held of the prior of Nostell, the prebendary of Bramham, by the hospital of St Leonard who still owed Nostell priory a rent of 2s. 8d. for the tenement in 1359 and in c.1478 (2, 3, i). The hospital in turn received income from Tenement 29. In 1359 they received from it an annual rent of 24s. 9d. (17). In the late 13th century however their tenant was Nicholas de Selby, who in turn took 2s. for Tenenment 29 from Richard de Craven who held it from him. In c. 1270 x 1296 Selby granted this rent to the hospital (2).

Richard de Craven had a number of other properties in York and did not necessarily occupy Tenement 29 (c). He was still the tenant of the property in May 1290 (4), but by February 1296 he had died and his estate was divided between his two daughters and their husbands (5). Agnes de Craven married John de Gaycenby, and Juliana de Craven married Robert son of Martin de Eryum and by him had a son John. In August 1307 Tenement 29 was described as belonging to Gillian (i.e. Juliana) de Craven, although she shared the title to the property with her sister (6, 7).

Richard de Craven's estate consisted of this messuage with shops in Petergate (Tenement 29), a messuage in Ousegate, two messuages in Patrickpool, another messuage in 'Petergate' (on the corner of Girdlergate and King's Court), 12s. rent from a tenement in Girdlergate (Glovergaill), 6s. rent from houses in Skeldergate, 2s. 6d. rent from tenements in Coneystreet, 10s. rent from houses in Hornpotlane (Tenement 43), and 7s. rent from houses in Patrickpool (7). From this date the history of Tenement 29 is documented only in so far as it formed a part of this inheritance.

By 13 January 1334 John be Eryum, son of Juliana de Craven, was of age and had inherited his mother's half share of the above properties, which he granted to Dominus John Furbisher (le Fourbour) (7). On 12 March 1334 this grant was confirmed by John de Gaycenby and Agnes his wife, who also granted to John le Furbisher, chaplain, their own half of the inheritance for their life times (8). Furbisher was a relation of Eryum's family and the same chaplain who had been responsible for managing the chantry endowment of John's great uncle and namesake John de Eryum senior (see Tenement 25 above). [Also on 13 January 1334, but by a separate charter, John de Eryum junior granted to John le Furbisher all his property in Tenement 32 including the dwelling house of his parents (Tenement 32 (g).]

By 1 October 1334 John de Gaycenby had died and bequeathed to his wife, Agnes, for her life, all the tenements of which Simon de Levenyng had enfeoffed them, with reversion to her heirs as she was the daughter of Richard de Craven. John also made it a condition that if Agnes were to share the tenements, having Alan Helk of Killum and Mathilda his wife to live with her, she was to pay his son William an annual rent of 20s. from the tenements (9). By September 1336 John son of Robert de Eryum and Julian de Craven had also died (10).

On 23 June 1346 John Furbisher granted and quitclaimed the half share in this tenement which he had from John de Gaycenby and Agnes de Craven to Roger Swanne of York and Katherine his wife, daughter of Alan de Killum of York. The transaction included the other properties of the 'Craven' inheritance, except that Furbisher retained the half of the inheritance which he had from John son of Robert de Eryum (11). Alan de Killum may be identified with Alan Helk of Kyllum above (10).

Roger Swanne had died by 19 August 1349. In his will he bequeathed all his properties to Katherine, his wife, for her life, reserving an annual rent of 20s. to his mother Elene, and after her death to William his brother. Swanne also provided in his will for all his properties to revert after his wife's death to St Leonard's Hospital (12). By November 1355 Katherine Swanne had also died, and her property passed to John de Holt, parson of the church of Althorp, who demised it at farm for 40 years to St Leonard's from 11 November 1355, confirming this with a quitclaim on 10 January 1356 (13). In his will of 5 May 1356 all the properties were left to two chaplains, Walter de Efferton and Walter de Eston (14), who in turn granted these properties to St Leonard's Hospital in part fulfilment of a licence the hospital had already acquired to obtain land in mortmain to the annual value of ,10 (15,16). The inquisition ad quod dampnum revealed that Tenement 29 owed an ancient rent to St Leonard's of 24s. 9d., and 2s. 8d. p.a. to the prior of St Oswald of Nostell (17). In recognition of this grant, on 4 August 1369, St Leonard's undertook to celebrate an obit for Roger Swanne and his wife (18).

References
1 YML, L2/1 pt iv, fos 43v 44; L2/2a, fo 21r v
All that land in Petergate which is between the land of Nicholas de Langton and the land of the vicars of St Peter, which Richard de Craven and John de Paris hold, that is two tofts, are of the land of St Peter of the prebend of Bramham. Neither pay husgable nor are otherwise geldable.
2 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 180
3 Lancaster, , 134
4 Abutment from Tenement 30; YML, VC 3/Vi 325
5 YML, VC 3/Vi 97
6 Abutment from Tenement 28; YML, VC 3/Vo 47
7 YML, VC 3/Vi 427
8 YML, M2/4, fo 3
9 YML, L2/4f, fo 16
10 Tenement 32; YML, VC 3/Vi 317
11 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 134v
12 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 136
13 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 136
14 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 136
15 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 136
16 Cal. Pat 1358 61, p.186
17 PRO, C.143/330/17
18 YCA, G.41:2


Sarah Rees Jones, 1987, Property, tenure and rents: some aspects of the topography and economy of medieval York (Unpublished document). SYO1072.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: Sarah Rees Jones. 1987. Property, tenure and rents: some aspects of the topography and economy of medieval York.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 21 2020 1:44PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.