Building record MYO3883 - Bootham Crescent Football Ground

Summary

Bootham Crescent has been home to York City FC since 1932. Before 1932, the had been a cricket ground used by York Cricket Club. Also known as Kit Kat Crescent. The ground opened as a football venue in 1932 having been previously used as the county cricket club. York City football club had been founded in 1922. In 1932 the ground had a main stand and banked terraces. It remained largely unimproved until the 1950s when the main stand was extended in 1955. In 1991 the Shipton Street End was covered and renamed the Longhurst Stand after David Longhurst, a York City player who collapsed and died on the pitch the previous year. TheTaylor Report recommended ground improvements which were carried out in the early 1990s. In 2005, York City Football Club announced a two year partnership with major, York employer, Nestle Rowntree. Nestle Rowntree provided the club with the necessary funds required to acquire Bootham Crescent. In a show of gratitude, York City Football Club, in exchange, offered Nestle Rowntree naming rights for the ground for the calendar years 2005 and 2006. The club's home is therefore to be re-named KitKat Crescent.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 5990 5298 (162m by 183m) (2 map features)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

York City Football Club moved to Bootham Crescent from Fulfordgate in 1932.

The new ground, previously used by York Cricket Club, had to be drained
and then developed to the designs provided by Ward & Leckenby. Two
stands were erected, the Main and the Popular. The ground was officially
opened on the 31st August 1932 under a lease hold arrangement. The
Directors decision to move was backed up by marked increases in crowd
attendance.

During the Second World War, the tunnel at the back of the Popular Stand was used as an air raid shelter for 432 pupils and staff of Shipton Street school.

“Secretary, York Association Football Club, has offered use of the stands. Under first class stand there is an excellent passage way (concrete roof overhead), which, with the men’s dressing
rooms, will provide accommodation for 250.
Only protection needed – some small windows to be sandbagged. Under the second-class stand there is a long passage corridor which is well protected on one side and above, but not on the north side. Propose to sandbag the passage way over half its length. This will provide accommodation for 200 children and thus provide for the whole of Shipton Street School. Note: approach – To enable the scholars to reach the stands, make door in school wall,
which adjoins the Football pitch”.


The ground was slightly damaged during an air raid in April 1942.

In 1948, the ground was purchased for £4,076. The whole ground and
buildings were listed at £7,204 in 1949. Post-war improvements consisted in
the concreting of the banking at the Bootham Crescent end, loud speakers
were installed, drainage work was undertaken, concrete terraces were built
in the Popular Stand and in 1955 the Main Stand was extended towards
Shipton Street. By 1958, the ground had a capacity of 23,600. In 1959 flood
lighting was installed.

In 1974, seats were installed in the Popular Stand, in 1980 the floodlights were updated and in 1981 a gymnasium was built at the Bootham Crescent end.

Improvements in crowd management resulted in the building of eight new turnstiles at the Shipton Street end in 1985 along with the refurbishment of
the dressing rooms, referees room and the physiotherapist's treatment room. A Club Shop was built in 1985. In 1986-7 hospitality boxes were built into the Main Stand. A covered stand at the Shipton Street end was built in the early 1990s. Further improvements were made to the ground in the
1990s as a consequence of the Hilsborough disaster (MAP 2018).

NMR Information:

[SE 5991 5297] Football Ground [NAT] (1)

Bootham Crescent, home of York City F.C.. York City F.C. have been around since the turn of the century, but only purchased Bootham Crescent from York Cricket Club in 1932. The ground was opened on 31 August of that year. The Main Stand was extended in 1955, and the new floodlights first switched on in 1959. Extensive improvements were carried out in 1985. The ground also boasts on both sides the last visible wooden perimeter fence in the league. (2)

In 1991 the Shipton Street end was covered and renamed the Longhurst Stand after David Longhurst, a York City player died on the pitch. The Taylor report has encouraged further ground improvements in the early 1990s. (3)

1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) O.S. 1:10 000, 1972
2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION Inglis S, 1991, The Football Grounds of Great Britain, 114-115, Photo, London:Collins Willow
3 Football grounds of Britain 420-422 Simon Inglis

Recorded by MAP Archaeological Practice in 2022 prior to demolition.


Phase Site Investigations Ltd, 2018, Bootham Crescent Football Ground GP (Unpublished document). SYO2180.

MAP Archaeological Practice, 2018, York City Football Ground, Bootham Crescent DBA, p20 (Unpublished document). SYO2179.

MAP Archaeological Practice, 2022, Bootham Crescent Football Club (Unpublished document). SYO2847.

Sources/Archives (3)

  • --- Unpublished document: MAP Archaeological Practice. 2018. York City Football Ground, Bootham Crescent DBA. p20.
  • --- Unpublished document: Phase Site Investigations Ltd. 2018. Bootham Crescent Football Ground GP.
  • --- Unpublished document: MAP Archaeological Practice. 2022. Bootham Crescent Football Club.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (4)

Record last edited

Apr 14 2022 11:41AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.