Building record MYO3897 - 20-27 Marygate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5990 5227 (47m by 47m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Two-three storey 19th century buildings including several commercial premises. Described as Buildings of Merit in the Historic Core Conservation Area Appraisal.
Surveyed December 2014: 20-22, The Coach House Hotel. End terrace hotel with numerous extensions and subsequent adaptations. Red brick external elevations. Some cambered brick arches to openings. Clay pantile roof to front elevation. Pantile & slate to rear. Numerous elevation modifications to create matching elevations around single front entrance. Upper floors- guest bedrooms. Fair condition.
No.24 The Minster Inn (see MYO 4002).
No.26, three storey. In use as Post Office Social Club. Brick inner ‘on street’ terrace with archway through to service yard. Multiple extensions and detached secondary building at rear.
Mottled Red Brick/ Rough red brick segmental arches to windows and quoins. Slate roof. Windows blanked out at second storey front. Fair condition. Collapsing arches noted. Upperfloors: in use. The building was bought by the Post office in the 1970 and converted to be a Club House for workers.
The external façade is largely as built in c1876. The building is in brick with
decorative banding and window surrounds in red brick. At the eaves is a stepped
decorative brick cornice. Windows are timber sashes, original first and second floor,
but new at ground level. The window openings have large projecting stone cills.There have been alterations to the original house at ground level. A large decorative
3-arched timber window may have been introduced as a ‘shop-front’, the ‘showroom’
created to display the boys joinery work. Later on the ‘shop-front’ may have been
altered when the Post office Club lounge was created. The brickwork below cill level
is in modern red brick, not matching the host property.
No 27: Three storeys, formerly Manor School building (1922) now adapted and divided into office units with access through archway to rear yard. Built of brick elevation to front and side incorporating bring string courses, rough and full 180 degree segmental arches. Large feature windows to front school room areas. Slate roof. Rendered walls & concrete roof to rear. Timber windows. Inscription at front reads ‘The Manor School’ Founded 1812, Removed from this site from The Kings Manor House 1922 through the efforts of The late Frederick James Manby. Retains original features including stone cantilevered stairs, timber boarding and open roof structure at second floor. Good-fair condition. Upper floors: part let and reconfigured.
No.20. 20 Marygate: a two storey house built c.1800, now part of a hotel.
No 22. 22 Marygate: two storey house, built c.1850, now part of a hotel.
NMR related event 613515 RCHME Architectural Survey 1995
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 6 2022 8:45AM