Monument record MYO4 - Mill, Naburn
|Grid reference||SE 5939 4455 (point)|
|Civil Parish||Naburn, City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
(SE 59364456) Naburn Mill (NAT) (Corn (NAT) (1)
SE 593445. A three-storied tidal mill built in the late 18th
century. In the 1860s it was used for grinding flint and Cornish
stone for West Riding potteries. In 1877 it was burnt down and
rebuilt and reverted to corn-milling. In 1913 the wheel was
replaced by a turbine and the mill finally went out of use about
1955. Now demolished. One stone remains. (2)
A grant of 1257 mentions a mill on the water of Naburne. (3)
The water-mill at Naburn mentioned in the 13th century (see Authy
3) probably stood on Howden Dike near its confluence with the
Ouse (SE 599457).
Naburn Mill on the island near Naburn lock was demolished in 1958.(4)
1 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION OS 1:2500 1893
2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION East Riding Water-Mills 1970 45 (K J Allison)
3 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION YAJ 17 1903 104
4 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION VCH Yorks ER 3 1976 80
Victoria County History, 1976, A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3: Ouse and Derwent wapentake, and part of Harthill wapentake, pp74-82 (Bibliographic reference). SYO1456.
A water-mill at Naburn was mentioned in the 13th century; it probably stood on Howden dike near its confluence with the Ouse, for in 1642 Water-mill bridge was in that locality. A windmill was recorded in 1345. Lingcroft mill, no doubt a windmill, was mentioned in 1354 and 1408 ; it presumably stood in the north-east corner of the township. The name Mill field, mentioned in 1476, more likely referred to a mill nearer the village. A windmill belonged to the manor in 1552 and later, and in 1697 a mill stood near the Naburn to Water Fulford road. It still existed in 1772.
¶By 1846-7 the only mill in the parish was that standing on the island near Naburn lock. It was built between 1813 and 1817, and it made use of the head of water created by the weir and the lock. It was at first a corn mill, but in the 1860s it was used to grind flint and stone for West Riding potteries, before reverting to corn. It was burnt down in 1877 but rebuilt. When it was reconstructed after another fire in 1913 a turbine was installed in place of the water-wheel. The mill went out of use c. 1955 and it was demolished in 1958. (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/east/vol3/pp74-82)
- --- SYO1456 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History. 1976. A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3: Ouse and Derwent wapentake, and part of Harthill wapentake. pp74-82.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 9 2021 1:54PM