Monument record MYO4230 - YORK CITY WALLS (TOWER 2) Chainage 100
|Grid reference||SE 6022 5120 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
Tower 2 (NG 60235120.) is semicircular, 16⅓ ft. wide and projecting 7 ft. 2 ins. in front of the wall. There is a double chamfered plinth around the base where footings are visible. It is not bonded into the wall, which is on a slightly different alignment from its inner face.
2019 Test pits suggested a combination of shallow footings the tower and the wall combined with the rubble infill of the tower have contributed to structural movement. Concrete underpinning was noted in one test pit suggesting that the subsidence is an historical issue.
In 2021 the Victorian parapet wall was carefully removed due to structural movement and cracking. The wall was then rebuilt and strengthened. This work provided insight to the sequence of events, from the construction of the rampart to all stages of Tower 2 construction and renovation.
In summary, It is likely most of the structure below the previous extant floor level is related to the original construction of the tower in the early-mid 14th century (RCHME, 1972), with several
repair and remodelling events from that date to the early modern period. Everything above and including the current walkway is nineteenth century and later in date (YAT 2021).
RCHME, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences, p91 (Monograph). SYO63.
YAT, 2019, Tower 2 City Walls EVA (Unpublished document). SYO2444.
Mason Clark, 2020, Tower 2 Slope Stability Analysis (Unpublished document). SYO2443.
York Archaeological Trust, 2021, Tower 2 City Walls EVA and WB (Unpublished document). SYO2668.
- --- SYO2443 Unpublished document: Mason Clark. 2020. Tower 2 Slope Stability Analysis.
- --- SYO2444 Unpublished document: YAT. 2019. Tower 2 City Walls EVA.
- --- SYO2668 Unpublished document: York Archaeological Trust. 2021. Tower 2 City Walls EVA and WB.
- --- SYO63 Monograph: RCHME. 1972. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences. p91.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463065: BARKER TOWER AND NORTH STREET POSTERN AND CITY WALL FROM BAILE HILL TO BARKER TOWER AND MICKLEGATE BAR AND VICTORIA BAR
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- OTHER: NRHE to HER Project (EYO6536)
- EVALUATION: Phase 2: Site Investigation York City Walls, Tower 2 (Ref: S191013) (EYO7456)
- EVALUATION: Tower 2 City Walls (Ref: 2019/107) (EYO7258)
- EVALUATION: Tower 2, City Walls (Ref: 2021/125) (EYO7886)
- OTHER: York City Walls Tower 2 Capital Programme 16/17 (EYO6201)
Record last edited
Jan 7 2022 3:50PM