Building record MYO4350 - 126 Fulford Road Old Priory Hotel, St Margaret's Rectory and stone arches in gardens
|Grid reference||SE 6081 5079 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
The site consists of The Priory and the adjoining St Margaret’s Rectory, constructed c.1876 in the grounds of The Grange. The buildings are of high architectural quality, of polychromatic brickwork with limestone dressings, and incorporating elaborate Romanesque, neo-Tudor, picturesque Gothick and Dutch detailing in carved stonework, elaborate window and door surrounds, glazing patterns and gables. Stylistically, the buildings have a close affinity with 1-12 New Walk Terrace (GII listed, c.1865), sharing the polychromatic brickwork, arched windows, Dutch gables and Gothick dormers, and it is likely that the buildings are by the same architect as all the buildings were constructed within the grounds of The Grange which was in the ownership of Isaac Poad, seed merchant. It is understood that Poad built The Priory, in the grounds of his own home for his daughter following her marriage.
Facing the site across Fulford Road are 3 bays of the original 8-bay arcade to York Theatre Royal (MYO4045), designed by the architect John Harper in 1834, who also designed notable York buildings such as St Peter’s School. The design consists of Tudor arches divided by projecting piers, with hood mould above surmounted by a parapet wall, the whole constructed in magnesian limestone. When the Theatre building was remodelled in 1879 the arcade was acquired by Poad in an interesting example of architectural salvage, which he used to ornament the frontage to the road, forming an entrance to The Priory’s coach house complex which faced The Priory and partly survives behind Howard Street. It is believed that the full eight bays of the arcade was reduced to the current three when Ellwood Court was developed on the west of the site in the late 1970s, but the extreme western end of the arcade survives to left hand side of Ellwood Court. At least part of the arcade now survives in the gardens of The Priory, presumably re-erected there in the 1970s. Gothic arches and some carved stonework also survives within the grounds of The Priory and are likely to be extant from Poad’s collection, having been erected as garden follies.
The Priory, St Margaret’s Rectory and the surviving salvaged masonry all possess heritage significance (evidential, aesthetic, historical and communal) and make a positive contribution to the architectural and historic character and appearance of the Fulford Road Conservation Area, and to the setting of the New Walk/Terry Avenue Conservation Area. The LPA served an Article 4 Direction in 2017 to protect the surviving arcade to 79 Fulford Road therefore the heritage value of the Theatre Royal arcade and public interest in seeking its preservation was recognised.
In relation to the host buildings, the existing windows to the front elevation are predominantly historic and replacement with double glazed versions could be detrimental.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2021 9:17AM