Monument record MYO4637 - YORK CITY WALLS VICTORIA BAR
|Grid reference||SE 6002 5128 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Victoria Bar constructed 1838, foot arches added 1864 and 1877. All structures of magnesian limestone ashlar except for Victoria Bar steps of orange brick with stone treads and cast-iron balustrade and handrail.
Victoria Bar exterior: semicircular carriage arch of 2 chamfered orders flanked by single chamfered pedestrian arches. Incised stone above central arch reads: Victoria Bar erected by Public Subscription under the direction of The City Commissioners AD1836 George Hudson Esq Lord Mayor.
Extract from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
RCHME, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences, p93 (Monograph). SYO63.
- --- SYO63 Monograph: RCHME. 1972. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences. p93.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463065: BARKER TOWER AND NORTH STREET POSTERN AND CITY WALL FROM BAILE HILL TO BARKER TOWER AND MICKLEGATE BAR AND VICTORIA BAR
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Part of: York City Walls (Baille Hill to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO1715)
- Part of: York City Walls in entirety (Monument) (MYO3631)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALL between Tower 6 and 7 (Monument) (MYO4638)
- Related to: York City Walls (Baille Hill to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO1715)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS RAMPART (Tower 1 to Victoria Bar) (Monument) (MYO4657)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS RAMPART (Victoria Bar to Micklegate Bar) (Monument) (MYO4658)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2021 7:17PM