Monument record MYO4697 - YORK CITY WALLS Tower 39
|Grid reference||SE 6069 5125 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest City of York, 14-Mar-1997
Field report on SX 67 SW 253 - 01-MAR-1989 153-4
The walls between Fishergate Postern and Tower 39 were initially built in the 14th century possibly on top of a pre-existing rampart replacing a wooden palisade.
The lower part of the walls we see now is original to the 14th century. The parapet and some of the upper wall is Victorian.
19th century drawings shows that the exterior rampart fell away quite steeply outside Tower 39.
Horsley's map of 1694 shows that there was a ditch at the foot of the external rampart between Tower 39 and Fishergate Postern Tower.
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463056: CITY WALL FROM THE RED TOWER TO FISHERGATE POSTERN TOWER AND FISHERGATE BAR AND FISHERGATE POSTERN TOWER AND THE RED TOWER AND WALMGATE BAR
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Part of: YORK CITY WALLS (Red Tower to Fishergate Postern Tower) (Monument) (MYO1734)
- Part of: York City Walls in entirety (Monument) (MYO3631)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS between Fishergate Bar and Fishergate Postern Tower (Chainage 3250-3400) (Monument) (MYO4695)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS Rampart between Fishergate Bar and Fishergate Postern Tower (Monument) (MYO4698)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2022 1:51PM