Monument record MYO4922 - Site of the Carmelite friary pre-1295
|Grid reference||SE 6021 5260 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
However, the location was unsuitable, and in 1295, William de Vescy gave the friars a messuage in Stonebow Lane, in the centre of the city. Excavations in 1972 recovered the plan of the West nave and West half of the chancel, with what may be part of the sacristy to the North of the chancel. There were also associated burials.
Union Terrace : excavations in the Horsefair 1989 by J D Richards, C Heighway and S Donaghey 5-6,13-15 vol.11, fasc.1
Before its use as a hospital, Union Terrace (at the time known as the Horsefair) was home to a Carmelite friary. The Carmelites as friars were not isolated from the world in their cloisters but were part of the religious life of their communities. As the Carmelites became more heavily reliant upon mendicancy (as itinerant beggars in imitation of the apostles) they became more integrated in cities and a new house was founded on the Horsefair in York in 1250 (Burton 1994, 114-5). In 1295 they moved to the Stonebow (alternatively named White Friar Lane (Finlayson)) (YAT 2016).
York Archaeological Trust, 2016, Untitled Source (Unpublished document). SYO2692.
NMR, 2019, NMR data (Digital archive). SYO2214.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2021 3:09PM