Monument record MYO5042 - The George Inn, 19 Coney Street
|Grid reference||SE 6019 5182 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
The inn, originally a mediaeval timber-framed building, was formerly known as The Bear, later The Golden Lion, and became The George in 1614 (Davies, 63–5). The S.E. part of the inn, on the site now occupied by part of a modern department store, No. 19, in 1716 was given a new brick facade, supported on stone columns (YAJ, XIV, 446); it retained a 15th-century timber porch with a ribbed vault and a boss carved with a Pelican in Piety (Cave, Plate XXXI) which had probably been brought from elsewhere and is now in the Yorkshire Museum. The N.W. end of the frontage, where No. 17 now stands, was probably built soon after 1614; it had a jettied and gabled elevation distinguished by ornate pargetting (Cave, Plate V) and in 1810 was rebuilt in brick (YCA, M17A), also supported on stone columns, one of which is that surviving. Inside was a large panelled room with a decorated plaster ceiling and heraldic glass of 1661–8.
Monument 141; An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.
Name: The George Inn
Alternate Name (Former): The Bear
Alternate Name (Former): The Golden Lion
BF060503 19 CONEY STREET, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2020 10:14AM