Building record MYO658 - THE HILL HOTEL
|Grid reference||SE 5732 5138 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
House, now hotel. c1845, with some C20 alterations. Stucco with slate roof. EXTERIOR: facade has exaggerated eaves projection, with paired brackets and with pedimental gable over projecting entrance bay. To the left of the projecting bay there is one bay, and to the right there are 2 windows at 1st floor level above a wide single-storey canted bay window. The window on the left on the ground floor is sashed with louvred shutters. The 1st floor windows are sashed with margin panes and with thick central vertical glazing bars. They also have louvred shutters. The bay window has C20 casements, with 3 lights facing forwards. Above the doorway there are brackets supporting the base of an altered balcony, now with very low C20 railings. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels and is set within an architrave with a very shallow overlight. Set back to the left there is a lower wing which has 2 glazing bar sash windows on the 1st floor, and a door at the left on the ground floor. Chimney visible behind main ridge. The right-hand return wall, facing east, is gabled and has a tripartite glazing bar sash window at 1st floor level. INTERIOR: not inspected. (RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: 130).
Listing NGR: SE5733051385
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
In a legal conveyance of the property dated 2nd. March 1895 the property was known as ‘Hill House’ and again it was referred to as having been ‘erected and built by John Inman’ but in a document date 19th April it was referred to as ‘now called ‘The Hill’. By 1909 further significant alterations and additions had occurred to the ‘villa’ as seen in the map of 1907 with some of the earlier additions being demolished to make way for the latest extensions built along the line of the western boundary of the site. What function this accommodation served is unclear. Whether these were the old stables referred to in various conveyances of the period cannot be determined as there are no drawings which clearly identify their function. By 1931 the currently defined lawn area enclosed by the low brick walls appeared on the site layout.
Whether the rear building range along the west boundary was exactly the same structure as in the 1909 map is not clear from the plan but what is certain the ‘villa’s’ relationship with its garden had changed (Planning Heritage Statement).
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 13 2022 3:21PM