Building record MYO660 - CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
|Grid reference||SE 5725 5144 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
Parish church. 1831-2 by GT Andrews, on site of medieval church: Chancel rebuilt 1851; Vestry added 1889, and east window inserted 1890. Mid C20 additions at west end. Squared limestone blocks. Slate roofs. PLAN: west tower with ashlar broach spire, a C20 lean-to addition against the north wall, a C20 porch in the south-west angle with the nave, a nave with north and south transepts, a lower chancel, and a north lean-to vestry. EXTERIOR: the tower has angle buttresses, and on each of its 3 exposed sides has a lozenge opening above a chamfered lancet. All the openings have timber louvres. The spire has a weather vane. The single-storey porch has a canted front wall. To the right of the angle is a boarded door, and to the left a mullioned window. The north and south nave walls are of 3 bays separated by buttresses and have chamfered lancet windows. The north and south transept walls both have parapets which are stepped upwards to a shallow central gable, 2 chamfered lancet windows, and central doors set within chamfered lancet surrounds with glazed heads. On the south side there is an empty niche below the gable. The side walls of the transepts each have one lancet light, the north-eastern one now partly blocked and covered by the later vestry. The south window of the chancel is of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head. The north wall of the vestry has a 3-light mullioned window. The east window is of 3 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with intersecting tracery. The east wall of the chancel has a coping with cross finial. The east wall of the vestry has a doorway and a 3-light mullioned window. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records double chamfered pointed chancel arch. Chamfered 4-centred tower arch. Western gallery supported on 4 iron pillars. Ceiled nave and transept roofs, chancel has scissor rafter roof. (RCHME: City of York: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 37-38).
Listing NGR: SE5725551444
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Bells: 6 bells and service bell. Bells 1-6 in order- Note D, C#, B, A#, G#,F#. Bells 1-4 & 6 in the ring date to 1770 by Pack & Chapman. Bell 5 is from 1979 by John Taylor & Co. The service bell dates to 1633 by William Oldfield. CARE No. 43/220
Attached photos depict commemoration plaques in St. Stephens Church and were derived from the 2018 Acomb Buildings Survey.
No further description provided.
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
2018, Acomb Buildings Survey (Survey). SYO2119.
- --- SYO2119 Survey: 2018. Acomb Buildings Survey.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2022 11:50AM