Building record MYO858 - LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS
|Grid reference||SE 6019 5141 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- HOSPITAL (Rebuilt 1827-29, Early C19 - 1827 AD to 1829 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (1829, Early C19 - 1829 AD to 1829 AD)
- HOTEL (1973, C20 - 1973 AD to 1973 AD)
- DATE STONE (1829, Early C19 - 1829 AD to 1829 AD)
- RAILINGS (1829, Early C19 - 1829 AD to 1829 AD)
- ALMSHOUSE (Constructed 1659, Mid C17 - 1659 AD to 1659 AD)
Formerly known as: The Ann Middleton Hospital SKELDERGATE. Hospital, now hotel: wall and gate attached to north-east corner bounding north side of front garden; wall attached to north-west corner, now incorporated into hotel sun-lounge. Walls form south-east side of Carr's Lane. Hospital dated 1829; renovated and altered 1973. By Peter Atkinson for The Corporation of York as Trustees. MATERIALS: pink mottled brick in Flemish bond on ashlar plinth, with window arches of orange-red gauged brick; ashlar doorcase and frontispiece, timber eaves cornice; 8 brick stacks to hipped roof of Welsh slate. Garden walls of red and dark brick, part in English garden-wall bond, part in random bond; stone coping. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 7-bay front, 3 centre bays pedimented and projecting slightly. 2 wide steps to central doorcase with flat cornice hood on brackets and door of 8 raised and fielded panels in plain architrave. First floor centre bay has hemispherical niche in round-headed architrave between volutes carved with anthemion, which contains painted carved figure of the Foundress in Puritan dress. All windows are 16-pane sashes with painted stone sills beneath flat arches of gauged brick, those on ground floor recessed in blind panels. Modillion eaves cornice, and plain cornice to pediment. Datestone in pediment inscribed: "THIS HOSPITAL/ WAS BUILT AT THE/ EXPENSE OF THE CORPORATION/ OF YORK ANNO 1829/ THE RIGHT HONble JOHN DALES/ LORD MAYOR/ WILLm HOTHAM ESQr./ GEO PEACOCK ESQr. WARDENS/ ISAAC SPENCER ESQr." Rear: 16-pane sash windows. Paired modillion eaves cornice. Original rainwater goods survive, with fluted bowl hoppers. INTERIOR: cantilevered staircase with stone treads, hollow-sided stick balusters, and ramped-up wrought-iron handrail, wreathed at foot round column newel on shaped curtail step. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: garden walls approximately 1.75 metres high, stepped- and ramped-up to 2.0 metres approximately, following slope of Carr's Lane. Part in front of building interrupted by garden gate of railings with arrowhead tips; part to rear incorporating segment-arched opening with boarded door. Tooled flat coping. HISTORICAL NOTE: Middleton's Hospital was founded in 1659, by Mrs Anne Middleton, widow of Peter Middleton (Sheriff of York
in 1618). The carved figure of the Foundress over the door of the present building may survive from the original hospital. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 51).
Listing NGR: SE6019551410
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
NMR Related information
BF060260 MIDDLETON'S HOSPITAL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
LS Archaeology, 2023, Middletons Hotel, York (Unpublished document). SYO2943.
- --- SYO2943 Unpublished document: LS Archaeology. 2023. Middletons Hotel, York.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2023 8:23AM