EYO4053 - Clementhorpe
|Grid reference||Centred SE 60307 51067 (36m by 36m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
York Archaeological Trust
Excavation for 11 weeks in 1976 and 10 weeks in 1977 revealed evidence of terracing in the 2nd century on which a series of Roman domestic structures culminating in a town house with mosaic floors was constructed. This was succeeded by a timber building to the west (but see EYO2350 where this is interpreted as Roman in date - needs checking) and a massive cobble foundation aligned east-west. The construction of the Benedictine Nunnery of St Clement and its associated burials robbed much of the Roman material. After the Dissolution a series of lime kilns was constructed to make use of both Nunnery and Roman building material. The excavations uncovered fragmentary structures and some 250 medieval burials associated with the nunnery. Exact identification of the medieval features exposed proved difficult because of the massive disturbance of the area in post-medieval times, but the relative position of the burials suggests that they lay within the nunnery church itself. NMR sources: The Yorkshire archaeological journal 49/1977/7,14 Archaeological excavations Department of the Environment /1977/101-2,152 For 1976 Site codes 1976-77.3 and 1978.1003 York Archaeological Trust Fascicule 8.1/1986/57-61 York Archaeological Trust Fascicule 6.1/1986/55-74 York Archaeological Trust Fascicule 18.1/1986/48 York Archaeological Trust Fascicule 2.1/1984//
- --- SYO27 Article in serial: David Brinklow and Sara Donaghey. 1986. A Roman Building at Clementhorpe.
- --- SYO93 Unpublished document: YAT archive 1976-7.3.
- --- SYO28 Unpublished document: 1986. Anglo-Scandinavian settlement SW of the Ouse AY 8/1. p57-61.
- --- SYO2214 Digital archive: NMR. 2019. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Child/subsequent Site Events/Activities (10)
- EYO2345 Clementhorpe: Roman (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2346 Clementhorpe: Roman (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2347 Clementhorpe: Roman (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2348 Clementhorpe: Roman (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2349 Clementhorpe: Roman (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2350 Clementhorpe: Roman (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2351 Clementhorpe: Anglo-Scandinavian (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2352 Clementhorpe: Anglo-Scandinavian (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2353 Clementhorpe: medieval (Ref: 1976-77.3)
- EYO2486 Roman building Cherry Street Clementhorpe junction
Record last edited
Dec 16 2019 4:28PM