EYO6209 - Former Fire Station, Clifford Street
Event - Survey
|Grid reference||SE 6035 5149 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
York Archaeological Trust
Historic building assessment providing an appraisal of the setting and significance of the structures on the former York Fire Station site. The site is situated within the York Central Conservation Area and occupies the corner of Clifford Street and Peckitt Street. The buildings across the site include the former Fire Station, former offices known as the “Lodge”, and additional buildings for vehicles. The Fire Station fronts onto Clifford Street and was established in 1935. The building incorporates elements of a former chapel - Trinity Chapel - which was constructed in 1856 by the Methodist New Connexion. The building known as the “Lodge” is a detached former dwelling that fronts onto the River Ouse. This building was constructed in the late 19th century and is Gothic Revival in style. Garages and storage/workshop areas were erected across the site in the 20th century. None of these buildings are listed. The site also incorporates part of the south-west boundary wall of the precinct of the former Franciscan Friary, which is now the retaining wall on the north-east side of South Esplanade. This structure dates to the late 13th century (and later) and is listed Grade II.
- --- SYO1832 Unpublished document: York Archaeological Trust. 2015. Former Fire Station, Clifford Street.
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Record last edited
May 10 2016 12:10PM