Building record MYO1543 - NUMBERS 19-22 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL
|Grid reference||SE 6057 5176 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (7)
- BUILDING (Late C19, Late C19 - 1867 AD to 1899 AD)
- CINEMA (1911, C20 - 1911 AD to 1911 AD)
- SHOP (1957, C20 - 1957 AD to 1957 AD)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Medieval, Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1540 AD)
- BOUNDARY WALL (C17, Post Medieval to Late C17 - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- BOUNDARY WALL (C18, Late C17 to Late C18 - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- BOUNDARY WALL (C19, Late C18 to Late C19 - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
Electric Cinema; now shop: boundary wall attached to rear building. 1911, incorporating late C19 building at rear; remodelled 1957. Boundary wall medieval, C17, C18 and C19. MATERIALS: cream-brown mottled brick in English garden wall bond, part rendered, with cinema front of glazed tile and faience; rear building of orange-cream mottled brick in English garden wall bond, with lower courses of orange-red brick: slate roofs, with brick stack to rear building.
EXTERIOR: full-height cinema front, of 3 unequal bays, treated as form of Palladian arch in Ionic order. Central arch is ribbed elliptical hemi-dome on columns with moulded bases on tall pedestals, beneath moulded modillion cornice hood, returned over flanking arches. Frieze above rises to segmental pediment terminated by volutes and capped with enriched moulded coping with ball and pedestal finial: frieze filled with moulded mask and garlands and swags of fruit. Shopfront behind cinema front has glazed double doors between arcaded with plate glass windows. Rear building: 2-storey, 3-window front to Black Horse Passage: openings altered. Boundary wall attached to north-west, approximately 4 metres high and 30 metres long.
INTERIOR: of shop: wall pilaster strips moulded with drops of flowers and musical instruments beneath impost band and plain frieze support moulded cornice. Ceiling panelled with flat plaster ribs, some enriched with moulded fruits.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: boundary wall red brick on lower courses of magnesian limestone.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Electric Cinema was the first cinema in York. Boundary wall attached to rear building incorporates remnants of former precinct wall of Carmelite Friary, suppressed 1538.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 50).
Listing NGR: SE6057251769
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
BF060561 THE ELECTRIC THEATRE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unpublished document). SYO2214.
On-Site Archaeology, 2015, Electric Cinema, 19-22 Fossgate (Unpublished document). SYO1786.
Colin Briden, 2015, Former Electric Cinema, 19-22 Fossgate BLDG ASS (Unpublished document). SYO1787.
On-Site Archaeology, 2016, 19-22 Fossgate (Unpublished document). SYO1795.
On-Site Archaeology, 2018, 19-22 Fossgate EXC (Unpublished document). SYO2150.
- --- SYO1786 Unpublished document: On-Site Archaeology. 2015. Electric Cinema, 19-22 Fossgate.
- --- SYO1787 Unpublished document: Colin Briden. 2015. Former Electric Cinema, 19-22 Fossgate BLDG ASS.
- --- SYO1795 Unpublished document: On-Site Archaeology. 2016. 19-22 Fossgate.
- --- SYO2150 Unpublished document: On-Site Archaeology. 2018. 19-22 Fossgate EXC.
- --- SYO2214 Unpublished document: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2020 12:25PM