Monument record MYO2063 - Tenements 24 and 25 (71 73 Low Petergate)
|Grid reference||Centred SE 60356 52026 (33m by 32m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (0)
Between Tenements 23 and 25 (1).
No description of the buildings on this site survives. A succession of craftsmen held Tenement 24, among them three described as smith (faber), in the late 13th and early 14th centuries, and two furbishers (furbeours) between 1313 and 1334 (4 11).
Site Ownership and Occupation
In the mid 13th century before 1286 Walter de Bayton and Rosa Russell, (daughter of Roger le Hatoer of York), his wife, quitclaimed the tenement for a sum of money to Richard son of Benedict de Strensall and Margaret his wife, retaining only the right to a quit rent of 1d. or a pair of white gloves at Christmas. The tenement lay between the messuage of Henry le Frereman (Tenement 23) and the messuage of William Mauger (Tenement 25), thus representing only half the land given to St Mary's in the early 13th century (1).
By 1286 the tenement had passed to Richard de Strensall of York (2), who later sold it to Simon de Haxby of York, and Elene his wife, including all his utensils there (3). On 11 November 1292 Simon de Haxby, smith, and Elene retained a quit rent of one rose at the time of roses, when they granted the tenement to Robert de Sutton, smith. They specified that it was to be held for all service due to the lord of the fee (4). However Simon de Haxby later enfeoffed Robert de Ateyate of the tenement. This grant has not survived but is referred to in the quitclaim made by Simon's widow, Elene, from the tenement in 1314 (9). It was also confirmed by a quitclaim by Alicia, daughter of Walter de Langton, to Robert Ateyate, smith of York, and Hawisa his wife on 9 March 1306 (5). Ateyate was also mentioned as the tenant of the property in June 1308 (6).
On 12 December 1313 Robert de Atteyate, son of Robert de Atteyate, granted two parts of this tenement, which he had inherited from his father, together with the reversion of the third part which his mother, Hawisa and her husband John de Appleton, smith, held for her life in dower, to Andrew de Tang of Petergate, furbisher, for an annual rent to Robert of 13s. a year, and 15s. a year after the death of
Hawisa (7). This grant was followed by a quitclaim from Hawisa and John de Appleton to Andrew de Tang in all their right in a third part of the messuage of Hawisa's dower on 1 April 1314 (8). There was also a quitclaim from Elene, widow of Simon de Haxby on 18 October 1314 (9), and on 2 March 1317 Robert de Atteyate, smith, made a quitclaim to Tang and his wife in 10s. out of the annual rent of 15s. (10).
On 3 October 1317 Andrew de Tang granted the tenement to John de Hathelsay of York, furbisher. This grant was confirmed by a quitclaim on 18 September 1319 (11), and in July 1331 Tenement 24 was described as the tenement of John Hathelsay previously of Robert Ateyate (12). By 1334 John Hathelsay had died and an inspection of his will in October 1334 revealed that he had bequeathed the tenement to William de Hathelsay, his relation, and then an apprentice of Nicholas de Scorby. The tenement was held from him by Robert de Snaithe (13).
In May 1362 Tenement 24 was described as the land of William Hathelsay of York, mercer (14), and 22 July 1368 William de Hathelsay granted this tenement, and land in Gillygate, to three parsons, Adam de Thornton parson of the church of Patrickbrumpton, John de Nesse parson of St Saviour's York, and John de Danby vicar of the church of Brymston (15). All three of these churches were in the gift of St Mary's Abbey and it is likely that the three clergymen were acting as feofees on behalf of the abbey possibly with the intention of enabling the abbey to reclaim this part of its fee in demesne. However in July 1370, William de Hathelsay having died, the three parsons granted this tenement to Thomas de Lekyngfeld, citizen and merchant of York, specifying that an annual rent of 6s. 8d. was owed to St Mary's from whom the tenement was held (16). This grant was confirmed by the abbot and convent of St Mary's on 4 August 1370 (17). In June 1376 Tenement 24 was described as the messuage of Thomas Lekenfeld (18). In 1381 Thomas Lekenfeld, chapman, with his wife Mathilda, resident in the parish of St Michael le Belfrey was assessed as paying 2s. towards the poll tax (19).
In January 1392 the title of the tenement was transferred to a new group ot feoffees of St Mary's Abbey (20), but on 23 April 1395 Thomas de Lekyngfeld granted his sub tenancy of the tenement, together with property in Micklegate and Peaseholme, to two laymen and a chaplain acting on behalf of St Leonard's Hospital (21). The property was formally granted to St Leonard's on 12 August 1396, a licence to alienate in mortmain having been acquired the previous year (22). The tenement was worth 26s. 8d. (23).
Finally, on 4 February 1397 St Leonard's Hospital undertook to perform an obit for Thomas Lekenfeld. If the obit went by default, power of distraint was to be exercised
by the mayor and commonalty of the city (24).
1 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 87
2 Abutment from Tenement 25; J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fos 54, 61
3 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 87v
4 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 87
5 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 88
6 Abutment from Tenement 25; YML, VC 3/Vi 46/2
7 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 180
8 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 87v
9 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 87v
10 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 88
11 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 180v
12 Abutment from Tenement 25; YCA, G.70:8
13 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 181
14 Abutment from Tenement 23; YML, L2/4f fo 37
15 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 108v
16 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 181
17 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 89
18 Abutment from Tenement 23; PRO, C.143/390/8; Cal. Pat.
1374 77, 423; YML, M2/5, fo 89v
19 Bartlett, 19 , 47
20 The new feofees were Dominus Nicholas de Stanegrene, vicar of the church of Kirby in Lonesdale, Thomas de Brunby, vicar of the church of St Lawrence in Appleby, William de Gascoyns and John Thorne, chaplains, also parsons of St Mary's. (These churches were all in the gift of St Mary's); J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 88v
21 The feofees were Thomas Thurkill and Richard de Esyngwald, citizens and merchants, and Thomas de Langton, chaplain; BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 150
22 BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 150v
23 PRO, C.143/426/13
24 YCA, G41:5
Tenement 25 (73 Low Petergate)
Between Tenements 24 and 26 (2,5,10,11).
Site Ownership and Occupation
This tenement had originally been held jointly with Tenement 24 and had thus been part of the tenement owing 6s. 8d. granted by Simon son of Adam de Halacr' to St Mary's Abbey in the 1230s (see above p.00). By the mid 13th century, before 1286, Tenement 25 was held separately from Tenement 24, and was described as the messuage of William Mauger which William Weland held (1). In 1286 William Mauger, while on a pilgrimage to Rome, bequeathed this tenement to his wife Isabelle, and at the same time granted the reversion after her death to St Mary's Abbey in perpetual alms. The tenement was described as lying between the land of Thomas le Fourbour on one side (Tenement 26), and the land of Richard Strensale on the other (Tenement 24), it backed on to the land of the priory of Newburgh (2). Shortly afterwards Tenement 25 was described as the messuage of William Mauger which Hugh de Acum held (3).
By 1306 John de Eryum had acquired Tenement 25 from Richard de Hunton (4,5). In his will, made 22 June 1308, John de Eryum, asked for burial in the church of St Mary's Abbey, and left to Dominus John Godale, chaplain, a rent of 5 marks a year to celebrate a chantry for the souls of himself and Juliana his wife. The rent was to be taken from this tenement and, if necessary, from a tenement in Patrickpool. The tenements themselves, together with others in Bootham and Goodramgate were left to Martin his brother (5). Martin de Erghum was described as tenant of the tenement in December 1313 (6), and the following year, on 1 October 1314, he was granted a licence to alienate this rent in mortmain (7). By inquisition the tenement was found to
owe 3d. a year husgable to the king (8).
In 1317 Tenement 25 was described as the land of Richard de Alverton, mercer and of dominus John Furbisher, chaplain (9). John Furbisher, a chaplain and a relative of
Martin de Eryum, may have been appointed chaplain to John de Eryum's chantry for in July 1331 he granted the 5 marks annual rent from Tenement 25 and the tenement in Patrickpool, to Dominus Robert de Elmeswell and his successors in the chapel of St William on Ousebridge, for John de Eryum's chantry (10). At the same time Furbisher granted the tenements themselves, together with presentation to the chantry, to Nicholas de Scorreby, citizen and merchant of York, for an annual rent of 5 marks to Dominus Robert de Elmeswell, chaplain (11). Scorby's tenancy of the property lasted less than 12 years. In November 1342 he granted the tenements together with the presentation of the chantry back to John le Furbisher, chaplain. Dominus William
de Blakeburn was then chaplain of the chantry (12).
The surviving title deeds for Tenement 25 shed no light on the nature of the tenancy of Richard de Alverton. In deeds describing Tenement 24 he was described as the joint tenant of the property between 1317 and the early 1330s (9, 13). It seems probable that his tenancy ceased before 1331 when Nicholas de Scorby took a tenancy of the site (11). Either or both of these men may have occupied the site while Furbisher managed it on behalf of the Eryum chantry foundation.
In June 1378 Tenement 25 was described as the tenement of John Aldburgh (14). In December 1421 William Sauvage, son of Ralph Sauvage, left to John Werkesworth and his wife Joan all his tenements in Petergate and Patrickpool which he had of the gift and feoffment of John son of Mathilda de Aldburgh. The tenements owed an annual rent of 5 marks to Robert Cooke, chaplain in the chantry in the chapel on Ousebridge, for the souls of John de Eryum and Juliana his wife (15).
This tenement does not appear in the survey of chantry lands in York made in 1546.
1 Abutment from Tenement 24; J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 87
2 J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fos 54, 61
3 Abutment from Tenement 24; J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 87v
4 Abutment from Tenement 24; J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 88
5 YML, VC 3/Vi 46/2
6 Abutment from Tenement 24; BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 180
7 Cal. Pat. 1313 17, 185
8 PRO, C.143/102/17. Writ, 24 Sep. 1314, Reply 26 Sep 1314;
9 Abutments from Tenement 24; J.Ryl., MSS 220 1, fo 88; BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 180v
10 YCA, G.70:8
11 YML, VC 3/Vo 86
12 YML, VC 3/Vo 85
13 Abutment from Tenement 24; BL, Cotton MS Nero D iii, fo 181
14 Abutment from Tenement 26; PRO, C.143/393/20
15 YCA, B/Y fos 33v 34; YMB, 3, 46. Will dated 4 December 1421, proved 22 December 1421
Sarah Rees Jones, 1987, Property, tenure and rents: some aspects of the topography and economy of medieval York (Unpublished document). SYO1072.
- --- SYO1072 Unpublished document: Sarah Rees Jones. 1987. Property, tenure and rents: some aspects of the topography and economy of medieval York.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 1:24PM