Monument record MYO4239 - YORK CITY WALLS (TOWER 7 Sadler Tower)
|Grid reference||SE 6001 5129 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
¶Tower 7 (NG 60015129. Pl. 20; Fig. next), probably that called 'Sadlertower' in 1380 and 1403, is of mid 13th-century type and probably one of the earliest towers on the wall. It is D-shaped and originally had an open gorge. The inside has three recesses from which the cruciform arrow slits opened. The N.W. recess has been converted into a fireplace and the arrow slit has been blocked; the brick-lined chimney must once have projected above the platform. The doorway in the wall inserted across the gorge has a shouldered lintel. The room is roofed with a segmental stone vault which cuts off the top of the central arrow slit though sloping upwards towards the rear.
The wall near Tower 7 shows a curious technique of rebuilding, also found opposite Jewbury, with rows of small stones between large ashlar blocks. In this part there is also a good example of a stone shattered by cannon shot
RCHME, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences, p93 (Monograph). SYO63.
2001, York City Walls (Tower 7 Sadler) Photogrammetry (Survey). SYO1826.
YAT, 2004, York City Walls Chainage 352-400 Watching Brief (Unpublished document). SYO850.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463065: BARKER TOWER AND NORTH STREET POSTERN AND CITY WALL FROM BAILE HILL TO BARKER TOWER AND MICKLEGATE BAR AND VICTORIA BAR
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALL between Tower 6 and 7 (Monument) (MYO4638)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALL between Tower 7 and 8 (Monument) (MYO4639)
- Related to: York City Walls (Baille Hill to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO1715)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS RAMPART (Victoria Bar to Micklegate Bar) (Monument) (MYO4658)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- OTHER: NRHE to HER Project (EYO6536)
- WATCHING BRIEF: York City Walls Chainage 300-365 Nunnery Lane (Ref: YORYM 2001. 4433) (EYO528)
- WATCHING BRIEF: York City Walls Chainage 352-400 Watching Brief (Ref: YORYM:2002.469) (EYO645)
- WATCHING BRIEF: York City Walls Nunnery Lane Watching Brief (Ref: 1992.23) (EYO734)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2021 1:30PM