Monument record MYO4674 - YORK CITY WALLS Tower 28
|Grid reference||SE 6038 5239 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Semi-circular tower c.4m in diameter. The tower was floored in brick during the Victorian restoration scheme. In the mid 1980s the tower required further restoration. This involved the removal and repair of the Victorian additions. The upper parts of the tower were removed down to the medieval stone work.
An exploratory excavation was carried out to examine the foundations of the wall at the back of the tower in December 1986. It became clear that the back of the tower had originally been open and that the sides had projected over a metre behind the rear face of the city walls.
RCHME, 1972, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume II The Defences, p124 (Monograph). SYO63.
YAT, 1987-88, INTERIM 12, 12/1 p46 (Serial). SYO39.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463053: BOOTHAM BAR AND CITY WALL FROM BOOTHAM BAR TO LAYERTHORPE AND MONK BAR AND ROBIN HOODS TOWER
- Scheduled Monument 1017777: York Minster cathedral precinct: including Bootham Bar and the length of City Walls extending round the precinct up to Monk Bar
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: St Georges Church (Monument) (MYO5062)
- Part of: YORK CITY WALLS (BOOTHAM BAR TO MONK BAR) (Monument) (MYO1733)
- Part of: York City Walls in entirety (Monument) (MYO3631)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS between Tower 26 and 28 (Chainage 1900-2000) (Monument) (MYO4673)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS between Tower 28 and 29 (Chainage 2000-2100) (Monument) (MYO4676)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 9 2021 3:19PM