Monument record MYO4656 - YORK CITY WALL between Tower 17 and Barker Tower (Chainage 1100-1300)
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5987 5184 (153m by 128m)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
This stretch of Wall has been rebuilt many times. Many of the most dramatic changes were due to the coming and expansion of the railway – a pair of arches were made in the Walls north of Tofts Tower to give access to the original York railway station, and its goods facilities, and two road arches were installed at the expense of Tower 18 as part of the development of the new railway station
outside the Walls. This is one of the few stretches of wall walk that comes down to pavement level (partly a result of the construction of the approach road of Lendal Bridge (1860-63)).
This section terminates with the postern, rebuilt to allow easy access to the railway coal yards outside the Walls. Conservation Management Plan 2021
2020, Lendal Arch Bridge inspection (Unpublished document). SYO2448.
BGS, 2020, Station Road Arch Stone Assessment (Report). SYO2644.
Donald Insall Associates, 2021, York City Walls Management Plan (Unpublished document). SYO2629.
- Conservation Area Conservation Area 1: Central Historic Core Conservation Area
- Listed Building (I) 463065: BARKER TOWER AND NORTH STREET POSTERN AND CITY WALL FROM BAILE HILL TO BARKER TOWER AND MICKLEGATE BAR AND VICTORIA BAR
- Scheduled Monument 1004910: City Walls, gates, posterns (not including the section from Bootham Bar to Monk Bar, N of the Minster, now part of National Monument No 13280), moats, mounds, Bayle (or Baile) Hill, St Leonard's Hospital and Merchant Taylor's Hall, Aldwark
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- Part of: York City Walls (Baille Hill to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO1715)
- Part of: York City Walls in entirety (Monument) (MYO3631)
- Related to: Railway arches through City Wall (1839 and 1845-6) (Monument) (MYO3827)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (BARKER TOWER/NORTH ST POSTERN TOWER) (Monument) (MYO4234)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS (TOWER 17) (Monument) (MYO4655)
- Related to: YORK CITY WALLS RAMPART (Tower 17 to Barker Tower) (Monument) (MYO4661)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2021 12:23PM