Monument record MYO3633 - St Andrew's Priory
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6065 5108 (160m by 185m)|
Type and Period (9)
- REFECTORY (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
- CEMETERY (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
- CHAPTER HOUSE (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
- CLOISTER (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
- DORMITORY (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
- GILBERTINE MONASTERY (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
- PRECINCT WALL (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1538 AD)
[SE 6064 5112] Site of St. Andrew's Priory [G.T.] Gilbertine founded c. AD 1200.
[SE 6069 5100] Priory Wall [GT] (Remains of) [T.I.]
St. Andrew's Priory of Gilbertine Canons was founded c. 1200. Part of the southern boundary wall was visible in 1958 in Blue Bridge Lane.
The site is now covered by modern development, and there are no visible remains of the Priory. Renovated sections of the tower courses of the precinct wall are incorporated with modern walling at SE 60655100 and SE60695100.
1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 1:1250 1962.
2 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 1:500 1891
3 Medieval religious houses : England and Wales 175 by David Knowles and R Neville Hadcock
4 A history of Yorkshire: the city of York 360 edited by P M Tillott
5 Field Investigators Comments F1 RWE 05-JUN-63
6 Medieval religious houses in England and Wales 199 by David Knowles and R Neville Hadcock
7 The church and Gilbertine priory of St Andrew, Fishergate by Richard L Kemp ; with C Pamela Graves
On-Site Archaeology, 2017, Novotel Fewster Way EVA (Unpublished document). SYO2107.
On-Site Archaeology, 2018, Novotel Fewster Way WB (Unpublished document). SYO2108.
York Archaelogical Trust, 2021, Mecca Bingo, Fishergate (Unpublished document). SYO2672.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- EXCAVATION: 46-54 Fishergate (Ref: 1985-6.9) (EYO4927)
- DBA: Mecca Bingo, Fishergate (Ref: 2021/32) (EYO7888)
- EVALUATION: Novotel Fewster Way EVA (Ref: OSA17EV11) (EYO6448)
- WATCHING BRIEF: Novotel Fewster Way WB (EYO6450)
- OTHER: NRHE to HER Project (EYO6536)
- DEPOSIT MODEL: REDFEARN NATIONAL GLASS FISHERGATE (Ref: 1983.1012) (EYO3514)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2021 10:28AM